Active Topics

Notices

i spent a bit of time last night digging into this problem that i've had for a while with modest. i am looking for a solution to a very annoying problem with an activesync account. whenever i receive meeting requests, i have no way of telling WHEN the meeting is to happen. as a result, i can't decide if i want to ACCEPT, REJECT or put it as TENTATIVE since i won't know if it clashes with another meeting. my current solution is to login to OWA on Exchange to check the calendar.

i figured nokia wouldn't store such big things (emails) on the rootfs so the first place to look for was in the home directory. also, most unix systems store emails in plain text format. so a quick grep -r showed up some results.

it turns out, activesync email is stored in /home/user/.qmf folder.

there is a sqlite database in that folder called qmailstore.db that indexes all the mails stored in the filesystem.

a pointer to the actual location emails is contained in the table called mailmessages, in the column mailfile. they all point to /home/user/.qmf/mail subfolder.

it turns out that for every email retrieved which is a meeting request, exchange (or any other email server that is airsync compliant) should generate a VCAL that is attached in plain text to the end of the email. this information is not shown by email clients but you can clearly see it in the /home/user/.qmf/mail content. so modest is synching that information.

also, it's a pity that it doesn't save the entire list of attendees (that's another pet peeve i have) because when i enable syslogging, i can clearly see in the logs that the information is being brought down. iirc, i saw the list of attendees and whether their attendance is optional or mandatory in the meeting, and also whether they have accepted the request i.e they are attending.

the next step is to figure out how to get this information displayed. short of modifying modest, i can't think of any other way....anyone with any ideas?

would it be possible perhaps to have a minor patch in modest that makes a call to a python script which then does all the dirty work?? i'm not even sure if this approach is possible.

help??

Last edited by droll; 2010-10-05 at 00:16.