Active Topics

Sigh, I was taking stuff out of my sidebag to make space for grocery shopping and I set my tablet on the counter. It instantly slipped into the sink and fell right into a plate filled with water and got totally soaked.

I immediately removed the battery, dried the exterior and placed the device and battery in a tub of rice for 2 full days by the window in the summer air. When I booted the device afterward it seemed to be working fine. Touchscreen was okay, wifi connected, and keyboard was working. After using the keyboard more I noticed a button or two wasn't responding. Then some of the buttons were activating other keys, and then finally more and more buttons stopped working. Now, only a handful of keys work: enter, the select button on the D-pad, and just a few alphabet keys. One of the main reasons I chose the N810 is because of the hardware keyboard and I'm not sure if I can ever get used to a software keyboard. Oh yeah, the zoom-in button on the top doesn't work either.

Are there any steps I can take to try to get the keyboard back in working order? I don't understand why it would work one minute and then start to malfunction in the other. Are there cheap keyboard replacements for the N810? What tools would I need to access the inside of the device?

Finally, if it can't be repaired I will probably abandon it and either use it as a glorified alarm clock or sell it for parts. Are there any other internet tablets that are similar to the N810? I was thinking it was time for a CPU upgrade anyway since the thing could be unbearably slow at times. The only problem is that all the nice tablet-like devices with newer CPUs are contract phones.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

the reason it stops gradually is because of the corrosion caused by still moist components and minerals therein

if you are set on trying to revive this device I would recommend a bath in distilled deionized water and then a bath in highest percentage iso alcohol you can find(drugstore usually has 90%, hobby store or chemical supply might have 99%)

then keep it in a very warm place without exposure to much moving air for a few weeks.

either that or toss it and pony up about $125 for a new one

The Following User Says Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Thanks, I was considering keeping the bottom half dunked in high percentage alcohol but I didn't know about using distilled water. Is there a good chance this might restore the keyboard, or is the damage likely permanent?

most likely it is done for, just my opinion

personally I would not go through trying to fix it. Tried several times before with various devices/boards, only ever partially succeeded.

I would say if $125 is worth less than probably a few hours of your time plus materials, then just scrap it and get a new one or better yet, buy my n900 for sale on here right now

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=58332

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Fairport, NY, USA
If you are already looking at as toast, you might as well try disassembling it and seeing what you can clean up. The keyboard keys come out pretty easily (3 small tabs on the front, under the stand if I remember correctly). The buttons on the top require you have a small torcs driver. (see 3rd post in this thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=15751)

So, how do I know all this.... I had mine on the kitchen counter when I spilled some water on it. After opening the keyboard up, drying it with a paper towel and then blow drying it; it is 98% working. The only issue I have is that the power button sends the lock button signal and the lock button sends both the power button signal and it's signal. A bit strange, but workable. (I didn't have a torcs driver of the right size.)

- John

Posts: 306 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Romania