Active Topics

I have connected my iGo keyboard with both my laptop and N800. It's clearly much more responsive when it's used for my laptop. Not knowing a great deal about Linux, I wonder there is something wrong with my N800 or it's normal to see a small delay between key-pressing of iGo and character showing on screen due to the design of N800.

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
I don't get a delay on mine, or none that I notice.
What sort of small delay do you mean?

Thanks for the response.

I hit a key, and a character doesn't appear on the screen right away. The speed of displaying the characters is not consistent : sometimes it's fast, sometimes it takes a while.

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Norway
do you have other BT devices connected? thats the only thing ive noticed to slow it down

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Near: Gilroy, CA
Hmm, I've always seemed to have this problem with my Thinkoutside Sierra bluetooth keyboard also-- os2007 and os2008... it really makes typing on my N800 a pain.

The lag occurs no matter what I've tried (different passkeys, different ways of pairing the keyboard), but the only thing that seems to remain constant is that the program "hildon-input-method" uses up to 55% of CPU while typing on my BT keyboard (os2007 and 2008).

I'll try killing that process next time (yeah, I know, there goes my virtual keyboard, but I can always restart it when I'm done using my BT keyboard)

Anyone got any suggestions?

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
Other than telling you it isn't right, I can't think of something offhand. I will try mine next time and see what the processing time is

The Following User Says Thank You to tabletrat For This Useful Post:
I actually have the exact same problem and although it's annoying as hell, I've just learned to accept the fact that the words/sentences i type will eventually show up a few seconds later. I'll definitely stay tuned to this thread if a solution does present itself.

The Following User Says Thank You to didisinned For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'm subscribing too, just in case a guru comes by with an answer*. It bugs the heck out of me, too.

*You know, something like, "You have to renice the bluetooth daemon with the following command: ...."

Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
I had this, it was essentially unusable that way! Interestingly, in the command prompt, or text-mode editors it was fast enough. I turned off the word prediction and word completion and I think that did it. Now it keeps up with me.

Oh yes, and you can renice the bluetooth daemon with this command:
echo 'xyzzy' > /dev/null