Active Topics

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Bulgaria
Hi all. I read the topics about setting up your voipdiscount acount on the n800 but could not understand something. What do I need to have in order for this to work. Do I only need my n800 and my voipdiscount acount? Or I need some other device as well??? Thanks in advance

hi,
you need: N8x0, voipdiscount account (or any other SIP provider) and RTCOMM installed:

http://rtcomm.garage.maemo.org/

following those instructions worked for me. Hope this helps,

C

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Germany
If you are using OS2008, you already have rtcomm, just go to Settings/Control Panel/Accounts and add a new sip account.

Username: account_name @ voipdiscount.com
Password: ******
[Next]

That's all, you even don't need to go to advanced settings (but you may set the proxy to sip.voipdiscount.com if you want and the stun server, you can find the settings here). If you can't make any calls you will need to remove the iLBC codec, search the forums here for voipbuster or voipdiscount on how to do it... however it did work for me out of the box with voipcheap.com, which is basically the same company and sip server.

Last edited by pakr; 2008-06-23 at 13:59. Reason: structure

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Italy
Me too I'm using a Betamax service (the company behind voipcheap & co.) and the iLBC fix did the trick.

I would like to underline the great flexibility of rtcomm compared to other Voip implementations, like the one of my N82. You can make various profiles (related to many accounts) and have them working together without the use of an asterisk server. This means that you can easily switch from one to an other an you can always receive calls from all of them. The latter is particularly useful with betamax products, since you are not allowed to call from a voipcheap account a voipbuster one (or at least i couldn't easily).

Best regards and enjoy a great voip device!

Mattia

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Bulgaria
Thank you all for the useful information !!!!! One last question ! I am looking now at a comparison chart of all the voip providers and I see that there are couple of them that provide free calling to my country (Bulgaria). Has someone heard of 'low-rate voip' or 'voipshark' or '12voip.com' . My question is - do you think that I can make these work on the n800 exactly the same way like with 'voipdiscount' or 'voipbuster' or any other ?????

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Germany
http://backsla.sh/betamax

enjoy.

edit: to answer your question, any of the betamax domains is good - it;s the same company. but they change their free countries sometimes, so you will need to check weekly to see if it's still free to call.

Last edited by pakr; 2008-06-23 at 15:30.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Italy
Dqkata,

If a VoIP provider gives you the right parameters (like sip addresses) there is nothing stopping you from enjoying them. That's the beauty of RTCOMM compared to skype or any proprietary system. The downside is the complications related to set up the service, and this is not always strait-forward.