Active Topics

Trying about:config in microb on new OS2008 on the N800 causes the browser to hang.

It says connecting but then does nothing and i have to terminate the browser.
Shouldn't it give the option of adjusting settings.

I would like to set the default zoom to 120% if possible.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikeywilliams For This Useful Post:
Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by mikeywilliams View Post
Trying about:config in microb on new OS2008 on the N800 causes the browser to hang.

It says connecting but then does nothing and i have to terminate the browser.
Shouldn't it give the option of adjusting settings.

I would like to set the default zoom to 120% if possible.
Patience is a virtue I hope you have some, because it takes forever for about:config to open in the browser - this is normal behavior. Try to get it started again and then go have a cup of coffee or cocoa or something. It'll show up sooner or later.

Thanks - it did indeed work after my cuppa tea.

However, i couldnt see any settings which would give me larger text by default. I find the text on most web sites too small and routinely set the zoom to 120 or 150%

Is there some way of achieving that as a default setting. I was able to do that in opera by editing opera.ini, but in microb?

(haven't found any thread discussing that)

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Thanks - it did indeed work after my cuppa tea.

However, i couldnt see any settings which would give me larger text by default. I find the text on most web sites too small and routinely set the zoom to 120 or 150%

Is there some way of achieving that as a default setting. I was able to do that in opera by editing opera.ini, but in microb?

(haven't found any thread discussing that)
1. Open browser. In address bar type

about:config

2. In 'Set Preference' group, in Name textbox type

font.minimum-size.x-western

type the font size you want in the value (next) box

3. Save new string by pressing 'Set Preference' button.
A value of 20 will give you about 120% but may rearrange some web sites so the text runs together.

On those sites you would simply use the hardware button to reduce to 80% of your new value. However 80% may still not be enough. Overall I found 18 was a pretty good compromise

You might need to get a warm-up for that cuppa after hitting "save preferences"

You know it "took" when the about:config page refreshes with your new size.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Michigan, USA
I would also recommend following the instructions outlined in the post linked below (needs becomeroot) to change the default action for the up and down buttons to movePageUp/Down. It makes a big difference to the browsing experience.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...4&postcount=11

The Following User Says Thank You to PJE For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the advice.
Got the text size adjusted fine.

Editing the keys settings file will have to wait until i have figured out how to do it - on the N770 i used leafpad but that doesnt seem to have yet been ported to the N800.
Time to do some googling....

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Thanks for the advice.
Got the text size adjusted fine.

Editing the keys settings file will have to wait until i have figured out how to do it - on the N770 i used leafpad but that doesnt seem to have yet been ported to the N800.
Time to do some googling....
Editing files is rather easy if you use emelFM2 You would just use emelFM2 to navigate to the file and then tap on the "Edit" icon (looks like a piece of paper) - this will bring up an editor within emelFM2. You will need to change permissions first by using chmod in xterm - I found a good tutorial for chmod here.

I just did this myself yesterday morning and it makes browsing so much better IMHO

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Alberta, Canada
Changing the up/down buttons to Page Up/Down was not exactly "easy" for a Linux newbie like myself. More of an ordeal. It involved installing emelFM2, discovering the editing function in that mess, discovering that editing /usr/lib/microb-engine/chrome/toolkit/content/global/platformHTMLBindings.xml doesn't do anything until you change permissions on said file (not that there's any message indicating that), chdir to that looong file location, chmod to give group permissions write access to that file, edit the thing again while trying to see nearly invisible text...Maybe there was some sudo gainroot magic involved in it too but I don't exactly remember.

Anyway, much to my surprise, it actually works now. I feel like I accomplished something but having to go through something this involved for a common-sense browser setting strikes me as a leetle bit insane.

I take my hat off to susdio and pincushionqueen.
I really did try.
EmelFM2 utterly defeated me (before i even got to the chmod stuff - i thought i read somewhere one can set permissions within EmelFM2)

None of the icons seemed to do editing - nothing looked like the piece of paper mentioned.
i tried setting icon labels on and still couldn't find it.
And it looked too easy to press the wrong button and do heaven knows what to the poor nokia's innards.

So hopefully some kind soul will give a step by step (newby level) guide to what to do, or the microb developers will make it easier to adjust settings.
As susdio says it is really ridiculous to have to jump through so many hoops to enable settings which it should have been obvious most users would want (ie larger default font settings and easier page navigation).

Thanks anyway for help and advice.

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Alberta, Canada
Maybe I can help some. In EmelFM2 I suspect the icons might change depending on the view but at least in the single window mode I find myself in, the edit function is the 7th icon down on the right hand side. I was unable to change the permissions within EmelFM2 however I did change them using chmod in XTerm once I changed the direectory to the right path. Permissions on the platformHTMLBindings.xml file are -rw-rw- after the change.