Posts: 148 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Stimutax, AZ
From the maemo-announce list:
Hello,

The maemo mistral (v2.0) roadmap is available at
http://maemo.org/platform/docs/roadmap.html

Please send all comments, questions, feedback to the dev list.

-maemo team
The roadmap for maemo-mistral contains some tasty new features to look forward to:

• Telepathy - IM/VOIP Integration Framework
  • Farsight - Audio/Video Conferencing Framework
  • EDS - Contacts/Tasks/Calendar Framework
  • apt/dpkg/gnupg - Full Strength Application Installer (possibly with code signing)
  • gtkhtml - Lightweight HTML Renderer/Editor Widget (new browser, or just for help pages?)
  • galago - Presence for the Linux Desktop
  • gazpacho - UI Development Tool
  • support for python development with maemo SDK!!!!!!!!!!! (if you're not a programmer, even you can make regular maemo apps with this.)

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
So ya think this post earns me credit for being the first to dub it 'mistrial'? (Sounds lofty, I hope the implementation is better than what we saw with v2005)

So when is the OS coming out? I take it we can update our 770 to run the new OS...and not have to buy new HW to do it. I will be pissed if that is the case.

Posts: 148 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Stimutax, AZ
Originally Posted by NokNok770
So when is the OS coming out? I take it we can update our 770 to run the new OS...and not have to buy new HW to do it. I will be pissed if that is the case.
It has been stated in several places that the 770 is the main(only?) target for the 2006 OS.

This rumor is just in regarding the date.
From the maemo-users mailing list:
So,

Just back from mobile-monday here in Helsinki. And they had a speaker
from Nokia, Ari Virtanen. He detailed some plans for nokia to bring
internet to mobile. Just like phones have been brought mobile.

And what's nice is that he told us that the next OS update will be
available before summer (1H 2006 is still the timetable), and that the
major updates on there will be VoIP, as many of you know, but he told
that they will be bringing IM software also. So after the next update we
all will be having hopefully something that works a little better than gaim.

Sadly i didn't have the time to go talk with him and get some more
detailed answers but hopefully this will be enough for most of you.

Greets, Santeri Lindgren

Originally Posted by Hedgecore
So ya think this post earns me credit for being the first to dub it 'mistrial'? (Sounds lofty, I hope the implementation is better than what we saw with v2005)
mistral: A dry cold northerly wind that blows in squalls toward the Mediterranean coast of southern France.
Maemo storms through Europe?

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Mistrial:
A trial that becomes invalid because of basic prejudicial error in procedure.
An inconclusive trial, as one in which the jurors fail to agree on a verdict.
Mistral:
A dry cold northerly wind that blows in squalls toward the Mediterranean coast of southern France.
I don't think either of those evoke feelings of a kickass OS

So now we know why maemo 2006 will be a little late : some of those finnish hackers have been knocking down "Pastis" on the Côte d'Azur and funboarding in those blasts of Mistral while we all believed they were coding away under three metres of snow :-)

Glad I didn't take the sales-droid's advice Friday. The local Compusa droid said that the Nokia rep had been in and told them to warn the customers that the new os is coming out soon (as in the next couple of weeks), and to wait and buy it after they refresh the current stock with new units that had the new os.

The Following User Says Thank You to rattis For This Useful Post:
Already made a few comments in my blog :-)

And hey, Python is great but let's not overhype it, ok?

Originally Posted by rattis
Glad I didn't take the sales-droid's advice Friday. The local Compusa droid said that the Nokia rep had been in and told them to warn the customers that the new os is coming out soon (as in the next couple of weeks), and to wait and buy it after they refresh the current stock with new units that had the new os.
rattis, I have been eagerly awaiting the next firmware upgrade since December, so you better not be pulling my leg, or so help me god...!

Seriously, though, if a release within the next couple weeks includes half of what is on their road map, I will be impressed with the quantity of work that they've done in the past 3 months. But it's a road map, not a list of what's already done - do we even know if "Maemo 2.0" is the same as the 2006 OS? For all we know, Maemo 2.0 could be slated for 2007.

Still, I keep my fingers crossed, and I'm holding my breath! Don't let me down, Maemo devs - you guys rock!