Posts: 33 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Got mine yesterday, and discovered that wacthing it charge makes it charge slower <G)
Some thoughts on the N800, (so far I love it)

- screen is excellent, far better than any I have used in the winMobile world
- Form factor is great. Nice useable size, The stand is very handy.
- Flashing from XP (ok, I know, I know, but until there are Unix versions of the software I NEED to run, thats what I run (and don't tell me about WINE, no joy there) to OS2008 was painless. Hardest thing was getting fat fingers to hit the correct keypress timing to gey the USB prompt.
- Battery life so far, is extremely good. Better than the WinMobile devices I have owned, not as good as my Newtons
- web application/repo install sucks, mostly from the server side.
Nokia really needs to look at the infrastructure behind this.
Too many retries needed for sucess, too many server side connection issues. Too many failed catalog refreshes. This needs to be fixed, it really makes the device look bad.
- FbReader is a must have app, I've started converting all my e-books over to html.
- Video converted with the Nokia converter works very well. I converted some episodes of Fred Dibnah from DVD, and they play
VERY well, just as nice, if not better,than on my daughters Ipod.
- This thing needs a nice case with screen protection,as well as a good screen protector. Time to search around.
- The earbuds are painful. I'll have to see if my Koss work.(I don't need the mike). It would be nice to listen to Sirius in the liveing room, simply by turning on the Sirius radios FM transmitter function. (the Sirius reciver is hooked up into our stereo system, as broadcast radio up here sucks)
- Wireless connectivity is excellent, config was painless.
- Found the internal SD slot a bit finicky, but it works.
Looking forward to the release of the final version of OS2008..

Thats it for now..
Cheers
Harold

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by HAC View Post
- web application/repo install sucks, mostly from the server side.
Nokia really needs to look at the infrastructure behind this.
Too many retries needed for sucess, too many server side connection issues. Too many failed catalog refreshes. This needs to be fixed, it really makes the device look bad.
I agree they're in a shoddy state but this doesn't have much to do with Nokia. I'll paraphrase someone earlier when they said that programmers who make their own repositories make things easier for themselves and harder on the end user. I think the general idea was to have a few main repositories (like Ubuntu Linux does) with all the mature apps in there.

Basically, Nokia's responsible for what's on your tablet out of the box. 99% of the external apps are by people who have nothing to do with them. Also, the reason the repository system was setup was so that file dependencies could be resolved easily and aid in installing software. In the old days on SlackWare Linux I had to compile my own programs, search the internet for lib files that were missing, and it was a major pain!

I agree it ain't perfect, but look at the plus size. Want apps? Browse the list.

Originally Posted by Hedgecore View Post
I agree they're in a shoddy state but this doesn't have much to do with Nokia. I'll paraphrase someone earlier when they said that programmers who make their own repositories make things easier for themselves and harder on the end user. I think the general idea was to have a few main repositories (like Ubuntu Linux does) with all the mature apps in there.

Basically, Nokia's responsible for what's on your tablet out of the box. 99% of the external apps are by people who have nothing to do with them.
I understand that in a legal sense the application installation problems aren't Nokia's fault. But 3rd party applications are one of the most compelling selling points of the tablets. That should give Nokia plenty of incentive to improve customer satisfaction with the installation procedure.

I've asked this a few times before and I don't think anyone ever responded: is there any reason automatic dependency checking can't be set up? Either have maemo.org flag applications that don't include all dependencies in their install file, or use another system. Maybe have the application manager automatically search repositories on gronmayer. That site is great, but how many people will go through the trouble to find it? Would it make sense to move the gronmayer repository site to Maemo.org? Nokia could certainly figure out a way to make application installation work better. But for some reason, they don't seem interested.

I'm beginning to understand that Nokia views the tablets as low-volume niche devices. But I'm afraid they are going to get killed by their high-volume consumer-friendly competitors.

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
They say the PSP cases are compatible. Check local stores for psp cases, I just started shopping and found them in clearance racks.

i got my n800 about a week ago, and i use it as my only phone and my main computer. i got it as a replacement for my netgear skype phone because i wanted to chat and login to the city wifii and other login-based wifi locations. even though i just yanked it to the floor by the power cable, it works great. the charging connector is bent and broken, so i need a new charger. ebay to the rescue.
of course this wouldn't be a good post if i didn't list my complaints:
-microb crashes too often, usually when i am doing something important opera is not an option because it doesn't load some webpages correctly, including this one.
-i can't use the thumboard in gmail. when i type and press the input key nothing shows up. the small keyboard works fine, but it's much slower. i haven't searched for a solution to this problem. i bet there's a fix.
-i wish skype had a setting to send a call to voicemail after a certain number of rings, like on my netgear. if i leave skype on, and i'm out of the room or house or don't want to talk to the person who's calling, the call just keeps ringing until the person hangs up. if i reject the call, it just cuts off, so i have to remember to turn skype off if i want voicemail to take over.
-the dark area on the right side of the screen bugs me sometimes.
-typing on a thumboard sux, i've used hardware thumboards too, and they're almost as cumbersome, so i can't imagine the hardware thumboard on the n810 would be much better. i just ordered a bt keyboard, so this problem should be solved soon.
-the built-in camera is useless. the app even crashed when i tried it out.

i actually love the repository system, and i haven't had any problems with it. i'm new to linux (i just installed freespire on my desktop. i think it's a great distro, although most would disagree with me) and the repository system is one of my favorite things.
but, i'm happy to report that this thing works great as a skype phone and for browsing. i mostly use it as a speaker phone, and nobody has complained about the audio quality or echo. it also works fine if i turn the volume down and hold it to my ear, although this looks dorky. headphones work fine to, but if you leave them plugged in you won't hear it ring.
oh, the handwriting recognition is terrible, as many others have said, and the screen sometimes doesn't dim after using skype. i've read about this bug on this forum, and if i understand correctly the only way to resolve it is to restart skype. maybe the new version of skype will fix this.

Last edited by debudebu; 2007-12-13 at 17:35.

The Following User Says Thank You to debudebu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by debudebu View Post
<snip />
Basically, the answer to all your problems is OS2008.

nice, i'm glad 2008 will solve most of my gripes. everything but the broken power connector, right?

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The dependencies should be taken care of by the developer, but I think some assume you've already got certain popular repositories installed and don't need to bother including certain files on theirs. (Which goes back to the issue that setting up your own repository just screws your end user.)

So far as Nokia needing to be responsible for the work of others... when you buy a car, a major selling point is that you can use it for going places... but Volkswagen shouldn't be responsible for it raining on your roadtrip.

Originally Posted by Hedgecore View Post
So far as Nokia needing to be responsible for the work of others... when you buy a car, a major selling point is that you can use it for going places... but Volkswagen shouldn't be responsible for it raining on your roadtrip.
That's basically my point. I know Volkswagen isn't responsible for the rain, but it sure is nice that they provide windshield wipers. They do this out of self interest: If they didn't, I wouldn't buy their car.

Posts: 574 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ BC, Canada
Nokia is well aware of the issues created by various repositories and broken installs, and they are very interested in finding a fix. There have been many messages about it in the maemo-developers maillist starting up again in October, here:
http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail//ma...er/012192.html
Originally Posted by Quim Gil
This is an invitation to resume all previous discussions about "the repository mess" and come up with conclusions and actions.
There must be reasons why people have been creating their own repos instead of joining extras. We have discussed about this in the past.
The objective is to leave you almost no excuses to keep having your own repos
No deadlines, but the sooner we agree on a plan the sooner we can execute it and the sooner it will benefit to users and developers.

Last edited by technut; 2007-12-14 at 19:28.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to technut For This Useful Post: