Active Topics

they have wifi series as well, pretty good storage capacity (30 gigs). not bad for the casual user.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by xenochimera View Post
they have wifi series as well, pretty good storage capacity (30 gigs). not bad for the casual user.
These days, Archos charges you extra for the on/off switch...

I have Archos 604 WiFi, its great for watching movies, browsing pictures, listening music, but thats all

It was a toss-up between Archos and Nokia for me. But their browser and interface seems really cumbersome, and all the buttons seem dorky. The wifi antenna is also so tiny the range is limited - there are hacks on the web to open them up and route a long antenna wire throughout the innards. The build and HD are said to seem fragile as well.

But, I agree, the screen size, capacity and media playing ability is impressive.

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ SF, CA
The cowon A2 is a better PMP than the Archos 604. True, it doesn't have wifi, but it wins in PMP ability and can do a lot more. Also, you need to pay a lot extra with the 604 to get the basic features that come with the Cowon A2.

Originally Posted by lad View Post
It was a toss-up between Archos and Nokia for me. But their browser and interface seems really cumbersome, and all the buttons seem dorky. The wifi antenna is also so tiny the range is limited - there are hacks on the web to open them up and route a long antenna wire throughout the innards. The build and HD are said to seem fragile as well.

But, I agree, the screen size, capacity and media playing ability is impressive.
That would make it worse. Wifi isn't like am, you can't just stick a coat hanger on it and expect it to work better.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Originally Posted by barry99705 View Post
That would make it worse. Wifi isn't like am, you can't just stick a coat hanger on it and expect it to work better.
Really? Why not? It's a 2.4GHz radio band, nothing more.

Not trolling, just ignorant and would really like to know why a bigger antenna wouldn't help.

R.
==

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by barry99705 View Post
It's not exactly a coathanger, but on the Pointlisse Archos PMA forum there's a DIY hack to vastly improve the PMA430's WiFi range, by switching the builtin 3.6 cm antenna (big word for a piece of wire) for one that's 28.8 cm long (yes, that's another piece of wire).

I have the 605 wifi. The browser is an ok add-on feature, but it's not good enough to make me carry it instead of my 810.

I'm actually really surprised that works. Though I'm also really surprised they use a wire for the original antenna.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.