I like the Opera browser on my N800. I tried the MicroB engine on the N800 browser and also the Minimo browser and found both to be inferior performance or usability wise.
For example, the MicroB engine takes longer to display big web pages like the Wall Street Journal (http://www.wsj.com) while Opera is super fast. Also, the MicroB engine doesn't allow touch scrolling on wsj.com while Opera allows decent touch scrolling.

In case of Minimo, the touch scrolling/panning is useless because on touching the screen, it reverts back to non-touch mode.

I will be looking forward to improvements in these limitations with the new N810 OS which will probably also be available for N800 users with a newer browser. AJAX is less important to me compared to the performance Opera gives me on sites like wsj.com.

Keeping my fingers crossed...

Last edited by kooda; 2007-10-18 at 03:11.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
IT 2008 comes with MicroB. Keep in mind that the version you tried was a beta.

I am hoping that someone who has access to the latest OS2008 version can try the Wall Street Journal website http://www.wsj.com on their browser and provide me the performance feedback.

If any browser can handle the Wall Street Journal web site, it is quite robust!!
(the version of MicroB engine that I have 0.0.8-3 doesn't handle the wsj.com website well and loses touch scrolling while Opera works better)

Last edited by kooda; 2007-10-18 at 03:12.

Originally Posted by kooda View Post
I like the Opera browser on my N800.
I concur. Opera has spent years optimizng their browser for use on small/mobile/embedded devices. Mozilla has... not done nearly as much.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by kooda View Post
I am hoping that someone who has access to the latest OS2008 version can try the Wall Street Journal website http://www.wsj.com on their browser and provide me the performance feedback.

If any browser can handle the Wall Street Journal web site, it is quite robust!!
(the version of MicroB engine that I have 0.0.8-3 can't even handle the wsj.com website at all while Opera works like a charm)
Seem to work OK on N800 flashed with the OS2008. However, I can not scroll the screen using stylus, but the scroll bars appear very quickly and page can be scrolled well before it has loaded completely.

I tried the same with my other N800 having the current OS: Opera works as you said: stylus can be used for scrolling. MicroB does work fine for me too? (With the exception of stylus scrolling not working. The scroll bars appear early and can be used to scroll before the page has loaded.)

The new 2008OS feels that it loads the page faster.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Jonnycat26 View Post
I concur. Opera has spent years optimizng their browser for use on small/mobile/embedded devices. Mozilla has... not done nearly as much.
Opera. Closed Source and relys on small dev team that work on the Mobile client. Updates, Vunerabilities, Bugs, etc. all must come from this team at their own time frame.

Firefox. Open source. Infinite number of people can be working on optimizing and adding new features to this browser for the best experience possible because of it's open source nature.

When the new firefox browser comes out on the new N series I don't think you'll be missing your opera browser much and even if you do you'll most likely still be able to keep it.

Originally Posted by Mara
Seem to work OK on N800 flashed with the OS2008. However, I can not scroll the screen using stylus, but the scroll bars appear very quickly and page can be scrolled well before it has loaded completely.

I tried the same with my other N800 having the current OS: Opera works as you said: stylus can be used for scrolling. MicroB does work fine for me too? (With the exception of stylus scrolling not working. The scroll bars appear early and can be used to scroll before the page has loaded.)

The new 2008OS feels that it loads the page faster.
Thanks!! I wonder why MicroB engine loses touch scrolling on some websites such as the http://www.wsj.com website?

I am hoping that things like these will be resolved or I will have to stay with OS2007 (or RDesktop, here I come for browsing such sites).

Last edited by kooda; 2007-10-18 at 03:15.

I look forward to seeing more on the N810, I hope most of the improvements are software based.

WSJ.com works wonderfully on my iPhone. Frustrating that my cellphone can render pages better than a dedicated Internet Tablet. I want to like it more, as the form factor is sweet. I've always wanted a "low-end" OQO, but it needs to provide a full internet experience...

Originally Posted by Awakened1 View Post
Opera. Closed Source and relys on small dev team that work on the Mobile client. Updates, Vunerabilities, Bugs, etc. all must come from this team at their own time frame.
Well, I'm realtively new to the N800 world... however, on the desktop this has never been a problem with Opera. They seem to update reguarly, and afaik, they have fewer vulnerabilities and bugs than Mozilla.

I don't get Nokia sometimes. They release the microb and RTcomm as open betas for us to do some free bug testing for them but they do NOT release betas of any new firmwares?
I know, I know, bricking liability avoidance and such but they SHOULD at least give us the option to knowingly flash to a beta firmware.