Active Topics

Notices

At present, I browse the NY Times on-line using the included RSS reader to download the articles. I was going to buy an Ipod Touch, just to get the NY Times app that lets you download a text version of the NY Times for offline reading. The RSS reader included with OS2008 can not do this, but other RSS readers can cache the articles for later viewing. However, this has not worked with the NY Times, as many of their articles are multi-page, and the readers only bring down the first page. This is not a problem for on-line viewing, as you can select the apropriate link to bring down the next page.

Then I noticed Feed Circuit (http://maemo.org/downloads/OS2008/) a few weeks ago, and my problem was solved. The latest version (0.6.8-1) has the ability to add a link to the next page, so it brings down the RSS feed, PLUS the next page. For the NY Times, set the link to the next page as "PRINT". Feedcircuit will bring down the first page (with all the pictures and graphics), plus it will also cache the complete text version of the article. (To access the text version, just scroll down to the end of the first page, and press the "PRINT" link.)

Howard

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to howardcb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
Yes, Feed Circuit is great. The author is extremely responsive to suggestions, and he worked with me to find a solution for NYT reading.

One problem I found with caching the NYT articles using the urls found in the RSS feed was that I was getting a lot of cached pages that were actually the advertisements NYT wants you to view before going to the article.

I solved this problem thus: enter the google mobile proxy into "Reformatting service url" field under EDIT > CONTENT SETTINGS. Google and NYT have an arrangement, and you will be brought directly to the article without having to look at an ad. (This works 99% of the time.) Then, to get a full-page version cached, enter "single page" in the "Printable version link" settings field. And then voila, full NYT at your finger tips.

Feed Circuit is now virtually the only program I use on the tablet (since I bought it to have mobile access to news and blogs). I can cache the full page of a blog post (with comments!) by using skweezer and google proxy, and get every article from NYT RSS feeds.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lm2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 169 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Brooklyn, NY
Could you post the string for the Google Mobile proxy? This sounds awesome!

You can find more information at Feed Circuit's Homepage.

The google proxy to enter is: http://www.google.com/gwt/n?u=%s

The skweezer proxy is: http://www.skweezer.com/s.aspx?q=%s

The Following User Says Thank You to lm2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by howardcb View Post

Then I noticed Feed Circuit (http://maemo.org/downloads/OS2008/) a few weeks ago, and my problem was solved. The latest version (0.6.8-1) has the ability to add a link to the next page, so it brings down the RSS feed, PLUS the next page. For the NY Times, set the link to the next page as "PRINT". Feedcircuit will bring down the first page (with all the pictures and graphics), plus it will also cache the complete text version of the article. (To access the text version, just scroll down to the end of the first page, and press the "PRINT" link.)

Howard
You can also use "SINGLE PAGE" instead of PRINT, as poster lm2 indicated. This will bring down the graphics again, but it has the advantage of not bringing down the article again if it is only a one page article. Using PRINT always brings down a text version.

Howard

Would you mind posting the relevent lines from your feedcircuit config?

Code:
/home/user/.config/feedcircuit/config
Thanks!

I don't have my NIT with me today. But can I ask why you need the config lines? Is it because you don't know how to enter it via the UI? Are you missing the little icon's on the left of the window that pops up when you selected Edit feed? Click on the icons. You'll see the fields we're referencing.

I just wanted to update you guys about the great things going on on the front of offline news feed readers for Maemo, while I wait for inputs from my boss for the proposal we are working on right now. If you are tired of anything else for offline reading, then I would suggest you go for feedcircuit. Feedcircuit is a great application and the developer is developing at a rapid pace that you will see many more improvements in near future.

Right now, FC can:
  • import and export feeds in OMPL format
  • allow choosing additional pages in the news article
  • launch external browser for viewing feeds and full articles
  • remember login settings of individual sites
  • keep news for a predetermined time
  • select individual feeds for selective refresh
  • chose the location to store cache
  • delete cache.

I am hopeful that the developer will add many other features including:
  • automatic refreshing and timed refreshing
  • ability to select individual news items
  • a repository for old news items
  • a desktop applet showing the latest news.

All the best.

Seriously...THANK YOU!!!

There have been a few other RSS readers that attempted to do this, but you finally nailed it! Just create a web-page and let MicroB to the heavy lifting. Brilliant! I finally have a decent offline news-reader. The filters is an exceptional bonus as well!

Well, I guess I don't have to monkey with plucker or httrack anymore. Thanks again!

- Jim

Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Has anybody gotten the Slate Magazine RSS feed to work with Feed Circuit?

I've tried inputting the "official" link (http://www.slate.com/rss/) and the error message I'm getting is "Cannot discover feed at given url HTTP Error 400: Bad Request"