Active Topics

Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
I've never developed for mobile, but I can design and I can develop in flash (as2/as3).

I'm a windows user.

Where should I start?
Python: http://www.themaemo.com/python-for-newbies/

Where can I find tutorials for X language/Environment?

I'm going to update this first post with relevant links as I see many windows people looking for answers.

Thanks for the help, I have some great Ideas and I want to dive in myself!

Last edited by joshua.maverick; 2010-01-04 at 16:02.

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
...what is about your recent thread regarding this topic?
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=31141

I downloaded the SDK, I got it running in windows, where do I go from there? I'm reading up on Python/Qt/Gtk but how do I choose? Where should I start learning for each?

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Orleans, LA, USA
Josh, what kind of development are you planning? Its kind of difficult to point you in the right direction if we don't know what you're trying to do. You must already have some idea of what you want to build on the phone. I think learning python is a great start for working with the N900 in general as its pretty "native". If you plan on making any games, SDL is a good library to look at for quickly getting "good" graphics on the screen with minimal code. SDL + C++ would be my suggestion, iirc there are also SDL extensions for python, but your mileage may vary. Good luck. If you need any help/advice, feel free to pm me, Ill help as best I can.

-Sean-

The Following User Says Thank You to shinkamui For This Useful Post:
I'm using Qt Creator with MADDE in Windows 7. I'm new to C++, but with Qt it's fairly easy.

Originally Posted by shinkamui View Post
Josh, what kind of development are you planning? Its kind of difficult to point you in the right direction if we don't know what you're trying to do. You must already have some idea of what you want to build on the phone. I think learning python is a great start for working with the N900 in general as its pretty "native". If you plan on making any games, SDL is a good library to look at for quickly getting "good" graphics on the screen with minimal code. SDL + C++ would be my suggestion, iirc there are also SDL extensions for python, but your mileage may vary. Good luck. If you need any help/advice, feel free to pm me, Ill help as best I can.

-Sean-
I want to build an audio player app with some web functionality, connecting to a db for lyrics etc. Eventually, I'd like to build a widget for the desktop to coincide with my app. I have all the functionality mapped out, but don't know what to do next.

Hi,
Like Sassler I suggest the MADDE thread.

Your project sounds complicated enough that using Qt is a good option. Plus the Qt libraries will help with a lot of the things you want to do.

I did a small Phonon test a while back, just to see how Phonon works: open two songs to play at the same time. (don't mind the initial garbage on the first player text area, just testing stuff)

Warning, it's only a test and I'm not a proper developer.
Attached Files
File Type: zip qj.zip (6.5 KB, 76 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to tekojo For This Useful Post:
If you are looking into Python for the Maemo, you can begin here: http://wiki.maemo.org/PyMaemo

If you're looking for a Windows UI, checkout this: http://esbox.garage.maemo.org/2nd_edition/

Developing in python is not always as smooth as it could be, but is a lot of fun
MfEfolders - Enable/disable MfE sync on a folder by folder basis; locally rename mail folders