Active Topics

Hi there,
I'm considering to buy a N900 and have a couple questions I could not find an answer to.

- is it possible to download any files (.mp3, .rar etc) from any site (rapidshare etc.) to the N900 (without using a computer)?

- do the flash games on sites like armorgames.com work?

(- is it stupid to buy a N900 because of the MeeGo issue?)

Thank you.

Originally Posted by random_nickname View Post
Hi there,
I'm considering to buy a N900 and have a couple questions I could not find an answer to.

- is it possible to download any files (.mp3, .rar etc) from any site (rapidshare etc.) to the N900 (without using a computer)?

- do the flash games on sites like armorgames.com work?

(- is it stupid to buy a N900 because of the MeeGo issue?)

Thank you.
Yes, you can do regular downloads, just as a PC does

Some flash games work, haven't tried that site

There are already versions of MeeGo running on the N900, and the hardware is getting very inexpensive now ($350)

The Following User Says Thank You to jflatt For This Useful Post:
Hello thar,

The n900 is a great machine for a phone/internet tablet and I would not worry about the Meego OS too soon just yet as it is currently being tested as a launch platform as we speak. That said, it does appear as though Nokia will not be launching a mobile-meego device until next year if speculation is to be believed?

As for downloading from site such as Rapidshare or even Torrents, this is easily done as the N900 has a number of Firefox based browsers including Iceweasel which will allow you to add plugins and extensions as you would for your desktop. You can easily download mp3s & zip files and unpack them with the right tools but then you would be better off doing this with a PC then transfering them via usb. (You may find that your carrier will through a hissy fit after a few files and PC are faster in general for this type of stuff)

As for flash games, i did check armorgames and the few games I tried did load ok but Humaliens stuttered alot, so I guess it is very hit or miss depending on the game. Wiiarcade is much better for this though and you can also down load an app called "flash launcher" which will launch games in full screen without loading the whole web page first. This makes thing soooo much quicker all round tbh.

Anywhoo, it really does depend on what you are looking for in a phone I guess? The N900 is a great learning tool for anyone who wants a device to deconstruct and modify/rebuild at ground level coding, even at a power user level like myself. If you want a phone that can do what you are asking straight out of the box, then you could do better by looking elsewhere.

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 100 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ india
hi,
been using my 900 for more than a month now and experienced a new problem for the first time.
having problems with downloading files. earlier on by clicking on a file it would show me the name and folder to be saved and would start the download automatically.

Today out of the blue when i try and download any file be it mp3 or a pdf. at the save point it says NOT ALLOWED(even attachments from gmail).
According to me i havent changed any settings..

any help\thoughts are appreatiated..
thanks a ton