so my application manager got F'ed up, so i wanted to execute "dpkg --configure -a" to fix it, and i need root, and i have easy root installed, so i usually just said "root", and it was done. Well now i get "Sudoers file: syntax error, line 65 <<< sudo: parse rror in /etc/sudoers near line 65"

not sure what to do now. thanks for the help guys

oh yeah, everytime i restart the n800, it askes me to confirm the date and time again, like its the first boot of a fresh flash. What is up with that?

Last edited by bobloadmire; 2008-12-29 at 07:26.

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Telling us line 65 in /etc/sudoers would probably be the first good step to track this down :-D

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
If you have openssh-server installed, you can do 'ssh root@127.0.0.1' to get a root shell.

If you have rootsh installed, you can do 'rootsh /bin/sh'. This will allow you to get access to your sudoers (as 'user' can't even read it) and fix it.

BTW: Use visudo in future to edit sudoers. If you don't like vi, run it like this: "EDITOR=<favourite editor> visudo'

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
ok i did the rootsh /bin/sh and it looked liked it worked. It said BusyBox v1.6.1 built in shell etc. Im not very good with linux, so what do i do from there?

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
I think Andre Klapper has given you a good start

How do i look at line 65 of the sudors folder?

Last edited by bobloadmire; 2008-12-29 at 22:44.

seriously, i have no idea how to do that. Im a beginner at linux

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
sudoers is NOT a folder. It is a file.

"more /etc/sudoers" will output the entire file (without line numbers).
So use an editor (as qwerty12 said) or copy the file on a desktop machine or something...

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Singapore
hi, all,
I meet the same problem that it prompts error for "sudoers file: syntax line 58...." when acquiring root access to my N810.
This is the procedure I did:
1. install openssh, openssh-client, openssh-server throught 'Application Manager'
2. assign password (I set 'qqqqqq' for that) to root user
3. open Xterm and run 'ssh root@localhost' and acquire root access
4. run 'passwd user' in Xterm
5. run 'echo "user ALL = PASSWD: /bin/su" >> /etc/sudoers'
6. run 'passwd -l root'

After all these steps, I logout root ssh and begin sudo and get error "sudoers file: syntax error, line 58...". When I return back to root access throught ssh, it prompts my password for root uncorrect. At this time it also prevents me from running 'Application Manager'. Lousy!!! I have no idea how to recover it. Thanks for advice.

BTW, anyone here tries to install 'maemo-pc-connectivity' on N8x0 following maemo.org instruction? I want to install it in ssh's root privilege but fails. Then I decide to add sudo privilegd for normal user and result to this issue.