Active Topics

Notices

I can't install evince on my n800. It gives me dependency errors. How can I install it (some of you have succesfully done it)

Thanks in advance

go here https://www2.blogger.com/comment.g?b...16815462507091
do exactly as indicated by etrunko 3rd comment down, read down a little further after his comment about the problem with the procedure
to "Finally, if you still want to do it, download each package and save them in the same directory."
works fine I just did it a few hours ago.
I'd recommend as cleanup to go into application manager after you've installed and select 'Check Updates' and scroll down to libglade2, select it for Update as it appears the libglade2 installed to install Evince may be older.
Also, the unzip version it installs IS older so when finished with that you might wanna update that as well.
Helluva lot better than the built in pdf viewer.
cheers, cliffon
Cellink BT GPS

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ here and there
I jusr got my n800 today so im pretty new at this. Whats wrong with just adding the repository?

Repository: http://www.bgran.net/etrunko/apt
Distribution: mistral
Component: user

I added this and it works just fine. Just selected it from the application lst and installed.

It does not work for me. It says some packages are not found. I'm using the 2007 os.

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Toulouse, France
Originally Posted by RioT View Post
Whats wrong with just adding the repository?

Repository: http://www.bgran.net/etrunko/apt
Distribution: mistral
Component: user

I added this and it works just fine. Just selected it from the application lst and installed.
Talk about bad timing. I read this about an hour after it was posted. In the meantime, as chance would have it, I'd been following etrunko's instructions to install using dpkg.

Anyway, despite what etrunko says, I do think it was worth the effort. It seems to me that evince addresses the two major problems with the PDF viewer. It has continuous scrolling, which gets around the absence of an easy way, in the PDF viewer, of moving from one page to another.

And it allows you to zoom to 175% which for many documents is about the optimal point between sideways scrolling and carrying a magnifying glass.

in case it wouldnt install again after i updated my n800 i uninstalled it and followed his instructions too. it is worth it and now ill have a copy in case i have to flash it with no internet. also i renamed all the packages 1-7.deb and evince.deb. just to simplify things for other people i work with who might want to pick one of these up to read work manuals on.

Originally Posted by artkavanagh View Post
And it allows you to zoom to 175% which for many documents is about the optimal point between sideways scrolling and carrying a magnifying glass.
it doesnt let you zoom past that? its always gone to 400% for me

in case it wouldnt install again after i updated my n800 i uninstalled it and followed his instructions too. it is worth it and now ill have a copy in case i have to flash it with no internet. also i renamed all the packages 1-7.deb and evince.deb. just to simplify things for other people i work with who might want to pick one of these up to read work manuals on.
I found the solution!!! Simply add the repository of the previous post AND add also this one: http://downloads.maemo.org/product/bora_sdk_repo/

Now, simply install Evince and use it!!! Thanks for all your help.

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Toulouse, France
it doesnt let you zoom past that? its always gone to 400% for me
Oh, it goes past that all right. I just meant that it allows you to zoom to a point between 150% and 200%, whereas the built in PDF viewer doesn't.

The built in pdf viewer is crap. I use mine at wor for manuals.... Who wants to go page by page with a 900+ page document with NO search option?