Poll: How many Nit's do you think were sold?(poll)
Poll Options
How many Nit's do you think were sold?(poll)

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
This includes 770, 800 & 810

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Based on the few ballpark numbers we've gotten and a variety of other factors, I'm putting it in the 600k range +/- 200k.

Looking at the download stats at Maemo.org and total lack of buzz, then, defining sold as "bought by an end user" rather than "makes it to a store" I went for the lowest poll number.

I guessed 500k; poll is awfully coarse, but that's probably a good thing.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by meanwhile View Post
Looking at the download stats at Maemo.org and total lack of buzz, then, defining sold as "bought by an end user" rather than "makes it to a store" I went for the lowest poll number.
Well, the number was 350k (50k 770 and 300k N800) back in August 2007, and I definitely know there have been a lot more tablets sold since then (especially with the major N800 price drops).

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Those were official numbers on sales, not including items that were in the hands of sellers but not bought yet? Where can I see the actual Nokia figures?

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Well, the number was 350k (50k 770 and 300k N800) back in August 2007, and I definitely know there have been a lot more tablets sold since then (especially with the major N800 price drops).
No offense, but just because you definitely think something is so doesn't mean it is true.

If there are 500K NITs, then forum traffic here, ebay trading, commercial development, and downloads at maemo are freakishly small, unless you believe people are buying the devices to use as drinks coasters.

That would be true if there were just the 350k NITs too (i.e. all sales stalled after August 2007), so I don't think that argument is relevant. I'm with GA on this, I can't imagine the sales haven't continued at an increased pace.

The first two options are obviously wrong - according to Anssi Vanjoki's talk at the Web 2.0 last October, they have sold 300K 770s alone (source: http://stuff.tv/blogs/live/archive/2...ia-launch.aspx)! That's the model that was only available in about a dozen countries, direct-from-Nokia only, and received nearly zero advertising and promotion.

The N800 & N810 are much more available and promoted, and in fact both made Amazon's best seller list.

My best guess would be somewhere between the other two, definitely more than 1M but probably less than 10M. The xohm situation has the potential to change this dramatically too :-)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ MI, USA
Whey does Nokia seem to want to keep this information "secret" ?

Most (not all) companies pan all the time about sell through numbers to help well sell more products.

So is there a certain reason Nokia wants to try to keep this number so close to their vest ?

I've never checked but do they also keep their cell phone bus. numbers this secret/quiet as well ?