Active Topics

Much to my surprise (as it is a holiday weekend in Canada), my N810 arrived yesterday!

I'm really impressed with the physical design of the device itself. It came with OS2008 already on it as well, which is helpful.

I'm impressed by it in many ways so far, there are a few concerns I have. They mostly focus around installing and updating applications. The Nokia repos don't seem to work?

I've browsed other threads around this forum but haven't seen anything conclusive for a solution. Have I missed anything?

What advice do people have for getting started with Python? Should I even bother setting up an emulator?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Omega View Post
It came with OS2008 already on it as well, which is helpful.
OS2008 was released along with the N810. All N810s come with it. You'll need to upgrade the firmware on your N810 though to get the latest version of OS2008, Diablo.

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Hillsboro, Nh.
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
OS2008 was released along with the N810. All N810s come with it. You'll need to upgrade the firmware on your N810 though to get the latest version of OS2008, Diablo.
And.....when you do the update to Diablo you'll find the Nokia Repo's work, and the Browser works much better too (at least mine did).
An iPod Touch 4th gen rides in my pocket too.

The Following User Says Thank You to deluxe For This Useful Post:
How does one go about doing that?

Posts: 425 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ California
Congrats!

for getting started with python? I posted a few good resources over in this thread.

And an emulator? do you mean a system emulator (to run windows/mac os ?) or a console emulator to play classic games?

Python doesn't require an emulator if your question referred to that. :P

Warning: dates on calendar are closer than they appear.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Omega View Post
How does one go about doing that?
Updating the tablet firmware.

Awesome, it's all done and the device is a lot less testy!

I'd say all my issues are resolved

What I meant by emulator was a development environment emulator - just for when I'm writing Python scripts on the PC...

Also, any CHM and Amiga MOD file support?

Dunno about CHM but ArnimS compiled an Amiga emulator a while back IIRC...

and python doesn't need a development emulator. Python scripts are similar to Java in that they're completely portable. I would suggest installing a linux distribution if you haven't already (through a VM player) if you're going to be doing a lot of python stuff with GTK windowing systems.

Or, you could just do what I do and run it all on the tablet I don't find it terribly difficult to write compile and run all my code directly on my tablet

I know what python and Linux are, I'm an experienced programmer (Java, PHP, C) - I just want to make sure I'm doing it effectively in terms of design process.
So most people are happy enough to write the scripts on the tablet then, eh? I guess a bluetooth keyboard is next then.

Does the interpreter for the N810 come installed by default? Also, does it build PYC files?

As far as an amiga emulator, that's not what I'm looking for. I want something that implements mikmod basically - if possible with the default N810 media player.

Whoops! My bad!

My apologies, I didn't mean to imply any sort of inexperience on your part. I think I assume too quickly sometimes

anyway, I don't know about most people, but I'm more than happy to. And yes, a bluetooth keyboard is essential if you're going to be doing a lot of coding.

and no, the interpreter doesn't come installed by default but can be easily installed by apt-get install python2.5

python2.5 and all the modules should be in Maemo Extras. Also, there's a ton of apps that depend on python (most notably Canola2, youtube players, and home applets) so if you've downloaded and installed some software you might already have it.

Hmmm... there was a thread discussing .mod players a while back... i think they mentioned that Timidity would play a .mod, but it does it slowly because it converts it to a .wav first then uses gstreamer to play the .wav. I'm not entirely sure on this point though, you may want to check

EDIT: Milkytracker has been ported to the tablet and I believe it supports .mod playing That thread's over here: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=21653

Last edited by josiahg777; 2008-08-04 at 17:32.