Active Topics

http://mynokiablog.com/2010/07/16/pi...4-screenshots/

Not much shown yet but home screen looks pretty cool. Seems you can put whatever you want wherever you want like Maemo (and unlike current symbian). And up to 7 homescreens (like HTC Sense). Not bad. Symbian looks to be going more mainstream and less boring.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 162 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
I agree. I like the UI too, but this isn't anything new. It looks alot like android 1.6.

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Symbian looks to be going more mainstream and less boring.
With Qt on top you don't really care whether there is Symbian, Maemo or even WinMo underneath.

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ United States
that may be true, but the whole question here is how long will nokia's support last

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
We already know the answer, don't we?

The Following User Says Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
The real question is will any other manufactures be making meego and symbian 4 devices.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
The real question is will any other manufactures be making meego and symbian 4 devices.
Only time will tell. It will depend on the success of the Nokia devices using those systems.

I really hope HTC makes meego devices.

Honestly Nokia keeps surprising me with its choices ,it seems like the decision makers at Nokia didn't learn their lesson watching Google or Apple in action ... there we have two companies that decided to stick to an OS (each to its own .... android and iOS) and support it producing upgrades that leave the costumer satisfied for e.g. an iphone 2g owner (almost four years old device) is still receiving firmware upgrades (it can be upgraded to ver 3.1.3) and almost every android device is receiving upgrades either by the manufacturers or by its community giving that Google is still supporting their OS as well ... as for nokia's n900 which is their top of the line device at the moment loaded with maemo ,is now abandoned and their maemo is sentenced to death after almost two years of development to move to MeeGo which they announced at first that there will be an official release for the n900 giving its owners ( and I am one of them ) false hope that there might be a happy ending to the story … and by the time they released the shameful pr 1.2 they also managed to spread frustration by retracting their official support to Meego on n900 (the part that bothers me the most is that the n900 is their official mobile development device so there won’t be any extra work for them writing drivers ,testing etc….) .

Let’s just hope the 3 year late Meego will have a different future from its successor meamo the same goes for symbian 4 although I have no idea how will they manage supporting two OS s by manufacturing devices that will compete with each other forcing developers to choose one OS over the other for their applications rather than unifying their devices under one OS and start taking a real place in the competition in the high end mobile devices market.

Thank you.

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ wales
developers wont have to choose one over the other. thats the beauty of qt.
just wait and see what happens, a lot of people are catching the end of a bloody long process of backend work across thier entire strategy to take them in to the next 5 years.
im not saying they wont muck up, but dont underestimate them because of some crappy buggy devices and some media hounding, give them a year and theyl be full scale back in the game.
yeas support is bad for the n900, but who bought the device not knowing it was not your average phone?
and symbian phones dont get os upgrades, but they do get a good two years of firmware updates mostly which is satisfactory imho.
dont think im on the defensive here lol but the way they have done it so fr is how they planned it, symbian 4 and meego will be successful.

The Following User Says Thank You to dscobsct For This Useful Post: