Active Topics

I'm a very happy Verizon user but I'm picking up an N900 for primarily for data and VoIP (already have a SIP provider). Having no clue about T-Mobile US, I'm hoping that someone can give me some pointers on service plans, ordering service with a pre-existing phone, etc. All tips are greatly appreciated.

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Dallas, Texas
I have their unlimited plan. Works great and I have noticed improved signal in areas over time, so they do continually upgrade.

I'm looking for some specifics (plan names, etc.). There seems to be several unlimited data plans if I'm reading them right, both contracted & non-contracted, etc.

Also, if it works out cheaper to buy a small voice plan and add unlimited data, that's fine. Just looking for some advice from folks who've been through this process already.

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by rindeee View Post
Also, if it works out cheaper to buy a small voice plan and add unlimited data, that's fine. Just looking for some advice from folks who've been through this process already.
I am using the FamilyPlan Unlimited Nights, with 400 minutes. Data on my N900 is T-Mobile Smartphone Unlimited Web + 400 Messages. Works well - have used for Skype calls (but have not got Skype video to work consistently). I live and work in Chicago - have not experienced any dropped calls, but occasionally I have lost data coverage on the El.

Hope this is of help.

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
here .

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
I've been on T-Mobile for 12 years. You'll have no problem getting an unlocked N900 up and running on T-Mobile. T-Mobile has the cheapest plans and are the most friendly US provider toward unlocking their phones and using other unlocked phones.

But some of what longtime users like me could tell you won't apply in your case as a new user because we're grandfathered into old plans and/or services.

T-Mobile.com will pretty much tell you about everything from plans to services to coverage. Then post back here with more specific questions and I or someone should be able to give specific answers.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Northeast USA
I bought the N900 as my first contract cellphone, and I went with T-Mobile. They had just come out with the Even More and Even More Plus plans, which can be a little confusing at first. Here's an explanation:

Even More is for those buying a phone from T-Mo. (e.g., not you.) You would get a significant discount on a T-Mobile branded phone, but it would cost more per month, and you would be tied down to the plan for 2 years.

Even More Plus is perfect for unlocked phones. It's amazingly cheap, and does not lock you into a contract. If you only have your N900 for 18 months, you only need to pay for 18 months of service.

With the Even More Plus plan, the best sub-plan for the N900 is Talk, Text, and Web. (at the bottom of this page) I went for the 500 minutes plan, and after taxes and fees it comes out to $65 a month. I'm actually over-provisioning, because I barely use more than 300MB of data, 200 non-weekend minutes, and 400 text messages a month; your mileage may vary.

Once you buy the plan, make sure you select the "T-mobile SIM card" as the phone. It will come free.

And finally, if you get confused, don't be afraid to call T-Mobile support. I've called them four times, and they are incredibly helpful and friendly every time.

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Central Ohio
If you're feeling adventurous, you might also inquire after the Talk+Text+Web contractless plan and see if you can remove the Talk part entirely. I asked about this while researching plans and was told that'd bring it down to $35/mo, no contract. I ultimately decided not to go that route due to worries about VoIP availability in the middle of I-71, and possible 911 issues. (Never had a one, but as soon as I decide to go without, I'm sure something horrifying will happen. )

I have the Even More Plus 500 minutes with unlimited text and web. It comes to $66 a month after taxes.

The only issue I've had was that I noticed an unknown call entries in my monthly billing which I called support to figure out how they're on my call logs. They didn't provide much help and basically said that if it's on the record I made the calls. I pushed them to escalate it and they told me to call back in 2 day after they investigate.

After I got off the phone I went on Google and searched for the unknown number. Turns out that the number is one of the voicemail numbers. I didn't recognize it because on the call log it displays with the international code and got truncated to only display the first 13 characters.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8070920AA5VA9L