Active Topics

Hello,

I am totally new to PDAs and Internet Tablets. I've been looking for a device that is packed with features and yet affordable. I think I've foud the perfect fit in N810. I would use it mainly as a PDA and therefore I was wondering if Garnet VM could run most "medical apps" available today. To me that would mean some drug database, basic drug kinetics calculations and maybe reading some medical ebooks. Basically, all stuff I know the Palm TX can do. I don't need PIM. Do you think the N810 could do the job? Have some of you tried such apps on the device? Thank you very much for your help!

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
No, there is no PIM suite on the n810 that holds a candle to the Palm suite. The Palm VM may be able to run many apps, but if you are emulating most of your apps why but a NIT?

im currently running 7 skyscape apps (stedman's, dorland's, taber's, cecil's, etc), two other freeware medical apps, 5 minute clinical diagnosis (2008), isilo with 5 books and a couple of games on garnet VM.

works like a charm! no crashes so far!

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by lazuli View Post
im currently running 7 skyscape apps (stedman's, dorland's, taber's, cecil's, etc), two other freeware medical apps, 5 minute clinical diagnosis (2008), isilo with 5 books and a couple of games on garnet VM.

works like a charm! no crashes so far!
Dont forget epocrates, MedCalc and more here, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=20558

@lazuli: can you share with some links please? I have some skyscape things on the PC, I have not tried GVM. and I paid for 5 min clinical 2006, is that now a freeware? And what is isilo?

Sorry, getting a little bit greedy TIA,
bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-07-20 at 17:56.

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
ePocrates works well under GarnetVM and for reading medical texts, FBreader will handle many native file types and there are/were? available covertors for eReader an Mobi formats.

The Following User Says Thank You to PinCushionQueen For This Useful Post:
iSilo is a doc reader/converter. You're better off getting your books and reference material in text or html, rather than any Palm format, if you're going to use a Nokia. FBReader will handle many Palm formats, but IMO it's always better to use a native format than convert and reconvert. Linux is superior to Palm for documents, IME.

The Following User Says Thank You to sgosnell For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
iSilo is a doc reader/converter. You're better off getting your books and reference material in text or html, rather than any Palm format, if you're going to use a Nokia. FBReader will handle many Palm formats, but IMO it's always better to use a native format than convert and reconvert. Linux is superior to Palm for documents, IME.
that may be true but switching from one book to another book or a totally different app is a breeze in palm. also, isilo handles searches very well. skyscape even has the advantage of cross referencing any item on any application on palm.

haven't tried fbreader for pdb files but i'm very much content on isilo emulation.

*oops forgot to mention i didn't convert my books to pdb, they were originally native to palm/isilo.

@lazuli:
Well, not familiar with the palm/isilo stuff, but I'll say this much: If you can get them (by converting, or whatever) to display in e.g. FBreader, I recommend you try it; you can fit either more or clearer text in a native resolution screen than GVM's scaled palm screen.

Originally Posted by brontide View Post
No, there is no PIM suite on the n810 that holds a candle to the Palm suite. The Palm VM may be able to run many apps, but if you are emulating most of your apps why but a NIT?
Originally Posted by AFK26 View Post
Hello,

I am totally new to PDAs and Internet Tablets. I've been looking for a device that is packed with features and yet affordable. I think I've foud the perfect fit in N810. I would use it mainly as a PDA and therefore I was wondering if Garnet VM could run most "medical apps" available today. To me that would mean some drug database, basic drug kinetics calculations and maybe reading some medical ebooks. Basically, all stuff I know the Palm TX can do. I don't need PIM. Do you think the N810 could do the job? Have some of you tried such apps on the device? Thank you very much for your help!
So PIM's a non-issue. To answer your question, I'd say the web browser (and perhaps some ebooks, if workable) on 800x480 would be one good reason... then again, never had a palm, so maybe palm browsers are overbashed; I'm relying on hearsay.

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
Do the alarms work in the GarnetVM scheduler application?
Do they work if the tablet is off/sleeping.
Do they work if GarnetVM is not running?

By work I mean an audible beep or tone is heard when the time for the event comes.

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Grand Rapids, MI
Originally Posted by dbec10 View Post
Do the alarms work in the GarnetVM scheduler application?
Do they work if the tablet is off/sleeping.
Do they work if GarnetVM is not running?

By work I mean an audible beep or tone is heard when the time for the event comes.
No. When I had the latest version of the GarnetVM on my N800, alarms in the datebook caused the VM to crash - hard.

The VM wouldn't stay running more than an hour. After that, it would crash (usually not hard - but you still had to restart it).

Tags
garnet, palm