Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009
When they realize that all they need to do is to slap in a $20 gsm chip into their netbooks, Nokia's stronghold of the internet tablets and mobile computers (aka N900) may be dealt a huge blow.

You do know they already make a netbook with GSM networking, right?

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...o-cost-299.ars

It's actually selling quite well, it seems.

Anyway, netbooks actually erode laptop sales, not tablet/smartphone sales. Because you just can't put a netbook up to your head, or slip it into your pocket. Even if you have REALLY BIG pockets.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to schettj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
The real enemy are old Stalin-era russian cyborgs that combine GSM chip, GSM network base station and basic farming machinery all in one package.

Their price is only 30% of N900's price, and they will end Nokia's handset business, drive Nokia Siemens Networks to bankruptcy and stop Nokia Money + Nokia Lifetools from taking over the 3rd world rural market.

Nokia just has to attach GSM base station and tractor to N900. That stylus takes lots of space in N900. Lose it and they can surely fit at least that tractor in there. Finally, price the device around 200$ in USA with huge profit margins.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Sooner or later someone will come up with THE DEVICE - that can replace PCs, laptops, netbooks, smartphones etc. There are currently 2 obstacles: inadequate power source, lack of shape shifting technology. Yes, there will be posters who would paste in the Nokia Morph here. Yawn...

Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Finally, price the device around 200$ in USA with huge profit margins.
That will never happen. Nokia doesn't speak American.

ARM CPU used in MP4 is being improved and wifi will be added.
3G/3.5G chip can also be added.

Now price of HD MP4 is about $100. Another $50-80 cost can let them become similar internet device as N900.

It's good to consumer but some big companies now sell expensive device do not like this kind thing happens.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Beijing
I think the interesting question here is: when internet tablets/smartphones have the same basic usability as a netbook, which will people choose?

It's not really that clear cut in my opinion, I for one might be tempted by the incredible mobility of the smartphone, but my friend will never buy one because he finds the screen too small to use for editing documents.

So Nokia are looking to be in both of these high-mobility markets (the do define there business as mobile after all), their sales over the next few years will say a lot about where the overall trend will go I think

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I doubt I'll ever be able to do everything I need to do, business-wise, on the N8xx or N9xx form factors. At least, not as long as Microsoft Excel rules...

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Seoul, South Korea
Was there a point to that post? I am trying to determine why i even took the time to read all of these.

Yeah... I'm starting to understand why he gets such a strong negative reaction to all of his threads.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!