Active Topics

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
I am running into issues and wonder if others are, or am I just unlucky:

Wifi:

Shows full bars, and I am in the same room as the router, yet it is hit and usually miss for a connection. I thought changing the device to medium wifi radio setting would help, but it seems that was just one of my lucky chances of an actual connection to wifi.

G1, Archos 5, Droid and Dash connect fine, but the N900 shows full bars too, though rarely connects to the internet. I have it set to connect to any connection and wifi if available.

Even when the n900 does connect to wifi, it lasts a few minutes and stops again, yet shows full bars when I go to the active connection screen for the wifi.

2G / Edge

The radio on the N900 is actually weaker than the G1. The G1 is weaker than the Dash and my old N-Gage. That makes the N900's 2G and Edge connection weaker than any of those devices.

Same places I get one bar with G1, then no signal for about half a mile are now no bars and longer areas with no signal.

This is all very frustrating for me, since when the N900 connects the Flash performance is better than expected and I have almost 100 Flash games, of which most play good.

Side note: I can not figure out how to get the device in "mouse mode" so I can use the stylus when launching Flash games from the file manager (this is more efficient than running them on the actual web page). The mouse / stylus issue is a tangent, but I still would like to know.

I must admit that I a very surprised and disappointed of the wifi and radio signal performance. I never expected the device to be so weak for phone and internet connectivity.

Another 2G issue is that when the N900 does lose signal, it takes over a minute or longer to reacquire the signal- much longer than my other phones. Several times it did not reacquire a connection for 2G until minutes later, in spite of being in a "four bar" area.

If I did not have multiple devices to compare to, I would think my wifi is the problem and the weak phone signal is just the way it is. The signal is weak where I live, but not as weak as the N900 performs.

Last edited by Rushmore; 2009-11-29 at 06:11.

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
I am running into issues and wonder if others are, or am I just unlucky:

Wifi:

Shows full bars, and I am in the same room as the router, yet it is hit and usually miss for a connection. I thought changing the device to medium wifi radio setting would help, but it seems that was just one of my lucky chances of an actual connection to wifi.

G1, Archos 5, Droid and Dash connect fine, but the N900 shows full bars too, though rarely connects to the internet. I have it set to connect to any connection and wifi if available.

Even when the n900 does connect to wifi, it lasts a few minutes and stops again, yet shows full bars when I go to the active connection screen for the wifi.

2G / Edge

The radio on the N900 is actually weaker than the G1. The G1 is weaker than the Dash and my old N-Gage. That makes the N900's 2G and Edge connection weaker than any of those devices.

Same places I get one bar with G1, then no signal for about half a mile are now no bars and longer areas with no signal.

This is all very frustrating for me, since when the N900 connects the Flash performance is better than expected and I have almost 100 Flash games, of which most play good.

Still, I can not figure out how to get the device in "mouse mode" so I can use the stylus when launching Flash games from the file manager (this is more efficient than running them on the actual web page- they run much better). The mouse / stylus issue is a tangent, but I still would like to know.

I must admit that I a very surprised and disappointed of the wifi and radio signal performance. I never expected the device to be so weak fro phone and internet connectivity.

If I did not have multiple devices to compare to, I would think my wifi is the problem and the weak phone signal is just the way it is. The signal is weak where I live, but not as weak as the N900 performs.
I get mine Monday, hope I don't have these problems. But I would like to know where you get a bunch of Flash Gmaes though? P2P?

no issues here. have it sitting next to a g1, n900 has better edge signal ..... wifi running strong for 48hrs now. maybe you got a hardware defect.

Originally Posted by phreck View Post
no issues here. have it sitting next to a g1, n900 has better edge signal ..... wifi running strong for 48hrs now. maybe you got a hardware defect.
I think that must be the case. I can safely say this is the first device ever that I have used that shows full bars, yet will not connect or stay connected.

Archos 605
Archos 5
Zune
Dash
Dell Axim
PSP
DS
Droid
G1
Xbox
Wii
Laptops (3)
Desktops (2)

This is the first time EVER having this problem and the G1 issue is really surprising, since I expected the same relative performance you report getting.

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
Got mine today. Wifi will not connect at all, radio chip or w/e is not working--showing max bars with 3G yet phone calls always cut out and very staticy.

-Socrates 469 BC

Last edited by spinnukur; 2009-12-09 at 03:16.

I popped the sim back in my G1 to check again (FWIW) and same result. There are five specific areas that the N900 reports "no data service" then no cellular service". G1 is solid in one bar areas (if there is such a thing) and works for calls and internet.

I have been getting emails and messages from others that have week 2G, but some seem afraid to be considered naysayers and ostracized from the N900 overlord fans

Never been so torn about a device. Weak 2G and waiting for apps and games while my trusty G1 plays NES, SNES, VGBA and Sega better than the N900 and also plays Genesis, MAME and Final Burn. A lot of MAME and Final Burn are slow on the G1, but the other emulators play great at 528mhz. Nice being able to make calls in all areas near me too.

Still, the potential of the N900 as well as strong web and media keep me hanging on. Also, finding Flash games that play well is addictive A lot of innovative Flash games out there that play fine on 9.4

BTW, the wifi seems to be working better on mine. Medium settings seems to have done the trick.

Last edited by Rushmore; 2009-12-09 at 02:46.

I work in a Radiology department. Unfortunately, I cannot receive or make call on my G1 in the department due to all of the lead lined walls. I just got my N900 today and to my pleasant surprise, I can receive and make calls with one bar on my N900.

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by parkee99 View Post
I work in a Radiology department. Unfortunately, I cannot receive or make call on my G1 in the department due to all of the lead lined walls. I just got my N900 today and to my pleasant surprise, I can receive and make calls with one bar on my N900.
This is my experience as well. I've had a lot of problems with Palm TREO and Moto phones in the past in my house. The N900 has 2-4 bars all the time.

hi

ive been evaluating the wifi quality on my N900 and it always shows around 56 percent max regardless where i am, how can i improve the quality for this please? to make it faster any help would be appreciated. i know my second question is a bit off topic but how do i get the percentage symbol its not on the hardware keyboard, is there a key that has these extra symbols?

blue arrow and then the sym/ctrl key brings up onscreen symbol table with percentage sign.