every time i restart the browser, a message appears in the top right that says "Updating" and all my settings are reset. the homepage gets set to home.html, my Dpad reverts to toggling links instead of scrolling, the address bar won't act as a search engine...

anybody know what's going on or how i can fix it?

nevermind, i uninstalled a few unrelated programs, now it wotks again

Yeah, definitely a space issue. I've had other programs do similar things when I had no space left on the rootfs.

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ South Florida
I have had the same problem for the past few days and have not had a chance to chase it down...

Got 74mb left on my root fs - shouldnt be space.

What apps did you remove?

i removed the map program that was preinstalled, i use maemo mapper anyway. it was 8mb.
pengupop or whatever that crappy game was, i think it was smaller, but i removed it just the same because i didn't like it.
a few other crappy games.
there was another program i removed that was 8mb, but now i can't remember what it was.

i thought it might have been a space issue when i tried to set a bookmark for this thread so i could come back to it easily and it told me there was insufficient space. i checked and my rootfs was 98% full.

Hi there,
I ran into the same problem, but it cant be memory either, because I am running from a 2GB card.
Specs:
- N800
- OS 2008 Chinook
- Cloned to internal SD via Penguinbaits Deb

I tried it right away with a new flash, set up my internal OS, when all was done, I cloned it to SD.
Result: On internal I can modify everything, on SD I cant change options of the browser.
Also I cant click single-click Installs on Maemo.org.
Very weird, I reckon its a write protection an any of the config files of the browser though, but how to change I dont have a clue.
Anyone able to point me in a direction?

TiA,
Grimar

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by Arken View Post
Hi there,
I ran into the same problem, but it cant be memory either, because I am running from a 2GB card.
Specs:
- N800
- OS 2008 Chinook
- Cloned to internal SD via Penguinbaits Deb

I tried it right away with a new flash, set up my internal OS, when all was done, I cloned it to SD.
Result: On internal I can modify everything, on SD I cant change options of the browser.
Also I cant click single-click Installs on Maemo.org.
Very weird, I reckon its a write protection an any of the config files of the browser though, but how to change I dont have a clue.
Anyone able to point me in a direction?

TiA,
Grimar
It could be a filesystem issue, try booting to flash and wait for my linus wav file to play to ensure fsck has been run. Then reboot to SD and try again. It sould be that the filesystem is corrupt in the location of the file, or I have seem the whole filesystem go to read only when it needs to be fsck'ed
You can also see the output of the fsck in flash run
cat /tmp/fsck.txt

Its possible somhow permissions have changed by something you did?

in xterm on SD run
sudo chmod -R user.users /home/user
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Hi,
OK, did as you said (reflash-->clone-->boot flash, wait for linus -->boot SD), now it worked. Just out of curiosity I tried it again, withour your guides, and hoppla-presto, the error was back.
So I assume, I messes up some owner-rights, when booting head over heels into SD mode.

Thank you for your help, and your excellent work with the flashing-deb!