Active Topics

When I select a single email message which I have read and press delete, it asks me if I want to delete the message only from the 770 or from the server as well. If I dont read the message 1st then the only option which appears suggests it will delete it fro the 770 and the server.

However, when I select all messages and press delete, the only option which appears is to delete all the messages from the server and the 770 and there doesnt appear to be an easy way to mark all messages as being read on the 770.

Its the 1st time I have configured the email client on the 770 so it has downloaded the complete backlog of email.

Is there an easy way to delete all messages on the 770 and not have them deleted on the server?

I understand I can probably do some clever organising of email into folders etc. I was just wondering if there was something I was missing regarding with the select all / delete option.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Rich

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but:

The options you get depend on wether the email was actually downloaded to the 770 or if the 770 only knows its on the server. Normally, I'd only get the list of available mails. A single message would be downloaded only if i open it. Therefore, in this situation the mail cannot be deleted from the 770 because it's not on the 770 in the first place. (It does show up in your inbox, though, and what you probably wnat is to remove it from there. You cannot do this by "deleting" it.)

Only if a message has already been downloaded, you're asked the "server or nokia 770"-question: Only then it's possible to delete the mail from the 770 but leave it on the server.

Hi Benny, I think what you are saying is right. It makes sense, I want to be able to delete the messages in the 770's inbox, without deleteing them on the server, so I have a kind of clean and tidy 'Inbox' on the 770, but the messages still stay on the server for the other applications I use to view messages them.

It will do this after I view them, but not before. I just find it a little odd that there isnt an option to mark all the messages as read so that it would then (possibly) give me the option to delete them from the 770 and not the server.

Regards
Rich

I have a script which deletes all mails in my mailfolder.

If you have xterm installed:
go to your mailfolder and remove all entries.

i dont know the exact path (i havent my N770 here), but its something like ~/Mail/*