Active Topics

Well, as of today I am fully and completely mobile with my NOT. I have mobile broadband via a reseller over the Sprint EVDO RevA network, Millenicom, I have my CDU680 USB EVDO RevA modem, a Cradlepoint CTR350 router and my Tekkeon MP1550 with three fully charged sets of Sanyo Eneloop Ultra Low Discharge 2000mAh AA batteries.

I have the broadcast power for the router set to low to help extend battery life. I have no clue how long this should last. My goal is pretty much to function all day between the router and my NIT with it's two extra BP-5L batteries.

I was having initial problems when trying to keep my CDU680 from vapor locking. I had double and triple checked all the voltages to ensure everything was within tolerance. All was fine. But the vapor lock it turned out was not the modem, rather it was the router doing something that caused the vapor lock. A process of elimination lead me to down grade the firmware on the router as nothing I tried ever fixed the problem with occured like clockwork at 12secs after power on.

So I decided all I could have left was to go back to the previous version of the firmware...that seems to have done the trick. Everything is perfect now. All that is left is to keep the modem draining the batteries so I can give them a full recharge tomorrow. I still have the other pack for when i go out for a few hours....

I cannot wait to try the setup. We have EVDO EVERYWHERE around here, it's just great!

oh, later after some sleep and what not, I will post a couple pics of just how compact this all is...the NIT is the biggest component believe it or not.

Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
I was having initial problems when trying to keep my CDU680 from vapor locking. I had double and triple checked all the voltages to ensure everything was within tolerance. All was fine. But the vapor lock it turned out was not the modem, rather it was the router doing something that caused the vapor lock. A process of elimination lead me to down grade the firmware on the router as nothing I tried ever fixed the problem with occured like clockwork at 12secs after power on.

What is vapor-lock in this context? I'm familiar with it with respect to carbureted engines, but I think this isn't what happens here?

Originally Posted by Benson View Post

What is vapor-lock in this context? I'm familiar with it with respect to carbureted engines, but I think this isn't what happens here?
hahaha, sorry...but I was being flip and goofy. But yeah, vapor lock meant s stalled connection that would not go.

After a bit more investigations, I think I tracked the issue down to a weird quirk in the setup/config involving WPA/WEP/WPA2 and a flag to require a login. I am on the run this AM but will definitely pass along what I managed to sleuth out via a more detailed process of elimination. Heck, it was late and I was on fumes but had to get it running! hehehehe....

But I am pretty sure it's NOT an issue due to the power supply and/or firmware at all.

The Following User Says Thank You to brecklundin For This Useful Post: