Poll: Best desktop!
Poll Options
Best desktop!

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Karhula, Finland
Hi there!

I was wondering if you could help!
I love the Maemo, so Kubuntu and others are a big NO-NO.

I am looking for a alternative desktop and I'm really dumb enough to fail everything, so I need a FULL step-by-step guide.

So what I'm up to here is something similar to maemo's hildon, but little more computer-like. Of course tweaking the hildon-desktop to heaven would work too, but I believe a totally new one would suit better.

What is the best desktop (your opinion here) for N900?
What is the most stable one?
Can I jump between the desktops? (Plasma & Hildon for example)

Second, should I overclock over the 805MHz?

What are the "ultimate" tweaks for the N900?

I bought mine few weeks ago with 40 euros, and another one for my girlfriend with 40 euros.

Third: Greatly "off-topic", but If someone does own a tweaked N9, I could use some tips with it. I have the 64gb edition. Let's keep this with less attention in this topic, ok?

Links to another topics are accepted and - well.. wanted! I stumbled upon a few topics I found by searching alternative desktops, but all of those are somehow odd... So. Here I am.

Last edited by weedm8; 2012-06-06 at 05:43. Reason: Lil' fixin'

Posts: 440 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Las Vegas, NV
At first I was confused whether you are a big tech savvy trying to create alternate desktop replacement. Soon after I started thinking that's not the case. There is no replacement for hildon-desktop, hildon-home things yet. You can run different linux inside the maemo but they do not replace the maemo ui. There are nemo and probably tizen but they won't be only ui but the whole ui. I hope this helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph9560 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
Hildon, don't fack with it!

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Karhula, Finland
Originally Posted by Joseph9560 View Post
At first I was confused whether you are a big tech savvy trying to create alternate desktop replacement. Soon after I started thinking that's not the case. There is no replacement for hildon-desktop, hildon-home things yet. You can run different linux inside the maemo but they do not replace the maemo ui. There are nemo and probably tizen but they won't be only ui but the whole ui. I hope this helps.
No geek in me. Well.. a bit maybe, but...
To business! In Jamaican english. Den I dink I don 'ave chooce.

Kubuntu it is? There's only 1 thing I really want the phone to achieve, fluent stability.. and a working phone calls of course.

I would really like to make these things to work WITHOUT the sd-card.