Active Topics

hi
i recently download the xp theme on maemo. to my mistake i didnt read that it was for n770. its nice but the status bar icons are covered. now im trying to uninstall it im having an error of cannot uninstalle. i check the details but theres no dependencies that i have to un install.

how can i uninstall the theme. thanks a lot

someone got any ideas how? i dont want to reflash... pls help me install the theme...
i think it wont install because when i turn it off the nokia logo is change with the nokia with xp logo. ]

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Patra, Greece
Had a similar problem with another theme for N770 which by accident I installed on my N810. I managed to uninstall it (I think with dpkg -u <pkgnam> --force) but I end up getting stuck with the N770 icons for launcer, web and communications as well as the N770 boot image.

I found out that I could (at least theoretically) get back my original icons and boot image if I could reinstall the default osso-default-icons package (the default Maemo package for icons) but there is no repository carrying this package.

So I reflashed my unit...

damn... i dont want another reflashed... i hope someone is knowledgeable to help me on this.

still no solution on how to unistall the xp theme without re-flashing the tablet?

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ home
A possible solution would be for someone to upload all of his icons for you to replace....

I'll give it a shot if I can, though it's been a while since I did icon hacking...

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ home
ok, I was able to find the icons, and I've got them zipped up, ready to send. Just a few quick questions.

I have an N800. Though it shouldn't make much of a difference (I think), just for the record to you have an 800 or 810?

The icons are located in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/ with the majority of the icons being in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/

There are some other icons however in some of the smaller folders (ie 50x50). Can you go through the scalable folder and confirm that the XP icons and wallpaper are there? If you don't know how to do this, let me know and I'll guide you through it.

How much linux/tablet experience do you have? Again, if you have little, I'll help.

I think we can fix this (admitidly using a hacky way), so don't flash your tablet yet!

--Jon

Did you change to a different theme before you uninstalled it?

Apparently you can't (or shouldn't) uninstall a theme currently being used.

jzencovich: thank you so mch for your help. i really dont want to reflash my tablet because i love what is in it right now. the only thing i cant do is uninstall the damn XP theme i recantly installed. i have a N810 and i know how to navigate and browse the files on it. i always customized my iphone so somehow i have the knowledge of customizing the icons on my tablet.
so you were saying that if i put the original icons back on my tablet i can uninstall the Xp theme?

krisse: yes i choose a diffrent theme first before uninstalling the XP theme. cant uninstall the theme... maybe because some of the icons of the theme is still inuse thats why i cant unistall it. eventhough i choose a diffrent theme, whenever i restart the bootlogo/bootscreen is still from the XP theme

Iceman, you don't have to lose everything because of a reflash, there is a backup/restore tool.