Active Topics

I bought the 770 today in hopes of replacing the Toshiba e740 that used to function as my alarm clock (plus some).

I saw on about.com some author wrote Alarm Clock: Yes. Yet, I am having the hardest time finding an application or believing the setting within Date and Time is a reoccuring alarm clock. Can someone confirm?

I figured I might have to go with one of the PIM's that has reoccuring alarms but I believe GPE isn't out for 2006 (yes, I jumped the gun quick and updated).

Can someone give me a couple pointers? I'm not trying to make an internet tablet into a PIM; I just hope there is an app or a trick to get reoccuring morning alarms.

Thanks.

GPE is available for 2006, look up the maemo apps page...

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
...and the built-in "Time" application features an alarm clock.

Yeah, the time app isn't up to much. I was hoping for something a la Psion Series 5 alarms. At least the potential is there now...

Fortunately, my phone (an old SE T630) has a nice feature where you can have a recurring alarm and even specify on what weekdays. So, monday to friday it goes off (like a bomb) in the morning and saturday and sunday it is blessedly quiet, without any hands-on fiddling on a daily basis.

That's the kind of alert flexibility or better I'd like to see on the 770 too. Alas, that one isn't a programmer...

Really what is needed is a combo app that:

- can show a nice high-res analog or digital clock full-screen a la a screen saver
- can be set to adjust the clock via NTP if there is an open Internet connection or when one is opened
- can set and manage at least a half-dozen separate alerts, that can recur and repeat, preferrably on only selected weekdays, or maybe on the first monday of each month, or every second sunday, or... well, you get the point, any and every kind of setting one can think of. Somebody, somewhere, would find all of them useful.

Ah well, one can dream.

Originally Posted by aflegg
...and the built-in "Time" application features an alarm clock.
Per my basic test, it wasn't reoccuring. Once it went off, it never went off again the next day.

The Following User Says Thank You to timmins For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kimmoj
Fortunately, my phone (an old SE T630) has a nice feature where you can have a recurring alarm and even specify on what weekdays. So, monday to friday it goes off (like a bomb) in the morning and saturday and sunday it is blessedly quiet, without any hands-on fiddling on a daily basis.
I had plans on keeping the 770 next to my bed as a small little browsing device and then an alarm clock. I took it back this afternoon (I didn't want to use it much and take advantage of a decent return policy); nothing is available now other than an attempt at a PIM. So I'll cross my fingers Nokia or a developer finds this as necessary as me. Until then, I'll shop around and continue peeking back at the opportunity to pick it up again.

If that was your priorities then I can certainly understand that the 770 isn't what you need.

Me, I use it to surf a lot, and with Privoxy installed it is great, no ads and great privacy control. FBReader is in use continuously, I even sometimes read on my lunch break. I fire up Maemo Mapper on occasion, and take some small notes with Maemopad... and of course, having OpenSSH on there makes it a great tool to administrate other linux/(open)solaris machines too. Plenty there for me that makes it more than worthwhile.

Still, I'm hoping to see some form of alarm application eventually. Would be a good addition.

GPE Calendar has it, only one thing is: no choise of sound...