Hey

I recently purchased an N800 for my dad for Christmas. He wanted something that could run Palm applications (he has a lot of them still), but after myself personally spending a couple of days with it, I ruled it far too complicated for him and he kept asking me so many questions which I thought were beyond him. So I ended up swapping, he got my iPod Touch, I got the N800. I am a bit more technically inclined then him.

So far I have found my experience to be abysmal. I am woundering if something has gone wrong or if something is out of sorts. The N800 has been upgraded to OS2008 (was that a mistake?). I have had the unit crash on me more times then I can count. The keyboard locks up have the time when doing things like adding an email account (never when writing email). Sometimes the keyboard just disappears and I cannot get it back without restarting. Other times it goes into 'shift' mode and I cannot select a key. It is just dead until again I restart.
The email application itself seems ok once running, but it takes for ever to view (download) an email. I can sit there for hours just to get a simple text message. My network connection is fine, my iPod touch never had issues.

The web browser I also find that close to 50% of the pages I visit have trouble displaying. The lack of PIM applications that can sync (I use a mac and unfortunately, unlike all the other Nokia products I have used, iSync does not work).

So do I have something corrupt? Or is the Nokia N770, Nokia N800 and Nokia N810 simply not ready for the casual consumers? Is it a development platform only right now (kinda like OpenMoko). Unfortunately at the moment, I feel that if I am to get any good use out of it I will have to write/port my own applications. Fortunately, in this case, I am a developer, but as I said I was hoping this would have been more average consumer friendly.

Thanks

PS: I did not intend this in anyways as a flame (so hopefully no one takes it as one), just a I am not sure what I got myself into and would like clarification. I am sure the N800 is a great product for those who know it well or want to develop.

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Michigan, USA
I'm sorry to hear you've been having so many issues with the N800.

My suggestion would be to reflash the OS to the lastest version of OS2008, but don't restore a backup (backup any documents etc to an SD Card). I would then recommend installling Adblock Plus to improve the browsing experience. (I would recommend increasing the minimum font size and the d-pad options).

Check the system with this configuration to see if it works better, and if it doesn't makeit better you can restore your backup. If things are working without issues then don't restore the backup.

The only issue I have was a bad internet connection which I solved by rebooting my WiFi router.

If you still have these problems after a reflash WITHOUT restoring any old data (i.e. start over with a clean unit), I'd suspect a defective n800. I have an n800 upgraded to os2008, and don't have any problems like you describe.

Last edited by ArgentSilver; 2007-12-30 at 22:35.

N800 running OS2008 - none of the stability issues you've described.

Suspect - defective/corrupt flash. Else - defective hardware.

I fired up my PalmTX today (ok, after I recharged it...) and WOW what I relief....that thing is like a tricycle compared to the mountain bike N800. Anyway, if someone wants my PalmTX, PM me....LOL!!!

bslack,

Just want to add my assurance that the problems you are having are not typical. I am sort of like you, pretty good with this stuff , but not a programer or expert.

I have found my n800 to be quite responsive and stable and it has the flexibility to allow me to fool around with it by doing things like installing Orb.

Reflashing and not using a backup sounds like good advice to me. Hopefully this will resolve your problems.

Hey

Sorry for the delay in responce time, but I have had other thigns to do then fight with the N800. I reflashed it and many of my previous issues have gone away. I still have notable issues with the e-mail client, but I found another one which works much better. the lack of PIM annoy me as well, but between GPE and a few apps I have now written myself I think the GPE is bearable for now. I have to say though, a lot of work is still needed before it can come up to the level of some of the other 'internet tablets' I have used. I think a fast processor is needed to.

Thanks for the advice
Brandon Slack