Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 1 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2010
If trends in the computing and communication industries are predictors of what comes next to the mobile computing arena, I posit that smartphones - the way we currently know them - will come to their graceful end shortly. I think that the following trends will shape what smartphones will become:

1. Convergence. Laptops, netbooks and tablets become more phone like (in size and ease of use) and phones become more PC like (speed, versatility). While I don't believe that there will be a one-size-fits-all device anytime soon, it is clear that convergence will transform smartphones in ways we can't see today.

2. Virtualization. What started couple of years ago with server virtualization (many server instances running on the same hardware with the help of a hardware-level hypervisor such as VMWare ESXi) is now taking over the small and medium companies by storm in the form of desktop virtualization (like VMWare View). With this technology, end users connect to their desktops hosted on a server via thin clients (fanless, diskless, noiseless small boxes). Current demonstrations of VMWare View 4 proved that live video streaming to these thin clients was indistinguishable from someone running the desktop OS on a physical PC.

3. LTE and WIMAX. These 4G technologies will increase mobile data transfer speeds to make remote desktop experience virtually identical to local desktop access.

4. SaaS aka. Software as a Service. Use what you need. Pay what you use. Simple concept that made salesforce.com a company worth billions.

How will these four trends transform mobile computing? I theorize that within 5 years some company will recognize that a smartphone doesn't need to have an ever faster CPU, more RAM and storage as long as it has a minimum required configuration to run a remote desktop via high speed network access.

When that happens users will be liberated from the current hassle of them being responsible for the well being of their devices. Upgrades? No problem. It's done centrally and pushed to all people who wish to receive it. Security? Done centrally. No worries about viruses or malware. Not too many software available? No problem since the hardware is virtualized so software developers will write their code once and run it on any mobile device.

So enjoy your N900 while you can as one day its successor may become a dumb terminal.

Sincerely,
OrangeBox

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Oh, and then what happens to your belowed 3D screened Apple products?

And dude, you´re an American. You know how much your wireless infrastructure sucks. There´s no way in hell that everything can be done through the cloud.

So traditional devices as you know them will prevail for a long time to come.

Last edited by olighak; 2010-01-25 at 00:24.

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ecuador
Is he the banned?

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ CT, USA
While I think that functionality will continue to converge, and smartphones are pretty close to being there already, I don't think that form factors will. Notebooks aren't as cheap or powerful as desktop workstations, but are more portable. Netbooks extend portability and potentially battery life with bulky extended batteries but aren't small enough to be carried around without a bag. Smartphones offer excellent battery life and connectivity, can be carried in a pocket or clipped to your belt, but the screen size and keyboard can make it difficult to work for long periods of time. There's not much redundancy there. I think most people will continue to have multiple devices and each of those will evolve on their own.

OrangeBox is someone so lonely and immature he evades bans to troll forums for a device he doesn't even own. Why this is I cannot fathom.

users will be liberated from the current hassle of them being responsible for the well being of their devices
More like, users will be prevented from having control over their device. They will be wholly dependent on their service provider and should anything happen, they're SOL.

enjoy your N900 while you can as one day its successor may become a dumb terminal.
My guess is you're a shill for some company that hates the thought of users having control over their data, and their hardware.

What you speak of: XpPhone

Your post is pointless, and really all your doing is antagonising the community. I suggest you cease before something comes back to haunt you

Originally Posted by DarkPand0r View Post
What you speak of: XpPhone

Now please, go away.
Not quite. That's a netbook packed into a slightly smaller case, which has been done before.

I think one can use N900 as a "dumb" terminal already, so what is the OP's point

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Phoenix, Cochin, Bad Durkheim
While convergence would happen .. But as long as the input and output system is the same as what we have now, we'll have devices in all sizes.
Now if the input (keyboard) method and output (screen) method changes, then most devices of today will become obsolete. (think monitors replacing punch cards)...

For now, I am sure we'll all enjoy out N900s :-D

I can't wait to have my PlaySkool iBlock, as it has been just described to me above!

Maybe it will look something like this beastie...

<me sees me putting this baby up to my ear to answer a call>

Tags
douche box, stupid douche box