hi all

i am not certain if all of you are aware, but i am a loyal nokia n900 consumer, and i have had bought one after another if the prior was broken or lost etc.

i purchased the nokia e7 silver from amazon yesterday with overnight delivery and it will be here today.

i will post initial impressions and thoughts upon spending some time with the device.

also, i am asking if anybody who has any prior experience with the nokia e7, please post any helpful tips, and or suggestions which i, or anybody else who has an e7 could find useful.

thanks guys

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to asadkhan1988 For This Useful Post:
Found some really interesting app for e7 here http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps in addition to the official store of course.

But E7 seemed boring for me. Сontinue using the n900.

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ California, USA
My N900 is the only phone/gadget I carry every day, but I gave the N8 and the E7 chances a while ago... N8 in ~ January, and the E7 shortly after it was released for $$$ from Amazon.

I returned both phones to Amazon after giving both of them a shot, but I mostly decided that I really hated Symbian, and Maemo on the N900 is an absolute joy in comparison.

But... hold the presses, because I decided to buy the N8 and E7 again, when Amazon pricing on the N8 dropped to ~ $349, and the E7 dropped to $439, where it's been for several days.

Funny thing, the N8 and E7 are still boxed up, and I have no real interest in looking at them again until at least the Symbian Anna/PR2.0 update comes out, and maybe even the Symbian Belle update comes out, when they're supposed to finally ditch the soft keys that arguably give Symbian its cheap feel.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/05...-belle-update/

Just a bit more trivia... the N900 happens to be the first cell phone I was even compelled to buy when it was released, and all of my other cell phones have been boring dumb (corporate cell) phones... Nokia 8260, Nokia 6230, Motorola Razr v3xx... and I've had an N810 since 2008? (also bought that when it was released), and a Sharp Zaurus 5500 before that.

I also have a 3rd gen iPod Touch that basically stays on my night stand, which I really only use for checking personal email or the balance on my Starbucks card... and I have a 1st gen iPad, which is great for Angry Birds, and goofing around with GarageBand, but also isn't a terribly useful device.

I'm also been doing some casual/hobby-level Qt/C++ development, so that's part of the justification for the N8 and E7 as development targets.

On a professional level, I spend most of my time in terminals on Solaris/FreeBSD/Linux boxes, so the N900 is still a huge leader as a pocket linux box on demand, but I'll occasionally watch a video, listen to some mp3s, listen to Pandora via pyRadio on the N900 when I'm not busy with work.

I do like the E7 keyboard, and I'm guessing it will mostly be adequate for a work phone if I decide to put the N900 to pasture on the nightstand.

Also, I'm looking forward to using Maps on Symbian^3, since the N900 as in-car navigation has always been a bit clumsy.

slvr,

i, as well, gave the n8 a shot, but the lack of physical keyboard was unbearable for me.

the e7 which i have now, i agree completely with you, the software just lacks completely in comparison with maemo.

the hardware is worthy of discussion though, very solid hardware, with obvious quality.

the n900 is my heart right now, and tomorrow i think i will be requesting a return form from amazon.

i wish there was a way to get maemo on e7

Posts: 310 | Thanked: 202 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Ireland
i agree. maemo on e7 would be great. I had an n8 which had to go back, couldn't deal with syncing with ovi suite. I recently got a nexus s which was better but missed my keyboard so that went on ebay. A friend of mine just got an e7 and I was jealous until I remembered it had symbian?!"\_#3. Lovely feel to the keyboard and the whole unit fees solid but such a shitty os. I've had 3 phones since I got my n900 and they've all gone on ebay

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by asadkhan1988 View Post
the e7 which i have now, i agree completely with you, the software just lacks completely in comparison with maemo.
Symbian has huge collection of software, if you know where to look (Google helps. No taunting intended)

Of course in comparison, N900's software are unique among its kind. You know it.

The Following User Says Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:
after returning the e7, today i found myself reordering the phone!

whatever symbian may lack, the phone was still solid, and a joy to use.

after using it my n900 felt dated.

could you elaborate a bit more on the google of symbian apps?

thanks in advance

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Boston, MA
I just got an N8 yesterday and after one night of frustration I am returning it and going back to my trusty n900...

I was actually suprised with symbian ^3, I used a 5800 before my n900 and ^3 looks and works much better - I think with Anna it might actually be a good device overall. The phone feels solid, has a great camera and the full turn by turn is a joy compared to the N900's weak ovi maps version - whatever happened to the QT version of ovi maps that Nokia promised...

However that said there were three nails in the coffin that sealed the N8's return to Amazon - after less than 24 hours...

1) The extremely weak browser, is it right to compare any mobile browser to the N900 as its the full desktop experience on the N900 i.e. on the N8 the bbc radio website said it was limited to only mobile devices in the UK, the N900 is not a problem as it thinks its a desktop computer!

2) The keyboard, really how hard is a good portrait keyboard, the T9 onscreen is terrible! This was really tough coming from the keyboard of the N900, the landscape keyboard on the N8 is semi ok but sucks to continually have to switch to portrait all the time ..

3) After a night of playing around with the device and trying out some of the nokia betalabs software (which actually looks quite cool) the ovi market stopped working completely even after quite a few hard resets it still fails to work. The ovi suite also had a number of errors and a hard time actually updating the device!

The N8 really is fantastic hardware, if it had maemo 5 (or 6) on it it might have been a brilliant platform but symbian just feels weak next to maemo 5 and the N900!

Still holding out hope for the N9, come on Nokia I want a great successor to my N900... I am ready with my order!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jer006 For This Useful Post:
the n8 i returned almost immediately as well

the e7, with the hardware keyboard, is leaps and bounds better, for me.

i am also waiting for the n9,hoping it will come with a hardware keyboard

Originally Posted by jer006 View Post
1) The extremely weak browser, is it right to compare any mobile browser to the N900 as its the full desktop experience on the N900 i.e. on the N8 the bbc radio website said it was limited to only mobile devices in the UK, the N900 is not a problem as it thinks its a desktop computer!

2) The keyboard, really how hard is a good portrait keyboard, the T9 onscreen is terrible! This was really tough coming from the keyboard of the N900, the landscape keyboard on the N8 is semi ok but sucks to continually have to switch to portrait all the time ..
You should definitely have picked an E7. Combine that with Opera and two of your major gripes are mostly solved. The only thing I really miss with this phone is a linux/shell (the good kb makes this issue just more painful).