So I just ordered my N810 from Newegg.com last night (Friday night), $349 + shipping. My questions to you guys are, how do you care for your expensive hunks of metal? What software do you use that you consider indispensable? Any tips or tricks you think I should know?

(For the record, I spent probably a good hour or more reading threads in this forum)

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
First: check your OS
Menu>Control panel>About porduct to see what version of OS you get. The 2.2007.51-3 is the one I am using. It is a good idea to upgrade it first. Some people in this forum are using Diablo beta, if you like bleeding edge technology....http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ghlight=diablo (744 postings, sure there is plenty of instructions )

Second: become root
Menu>Settings>Application manager>Menu>Tools>Application catalogue>New, put in
Catalog name:Eko One
web address:http://eko.one.pl/maemo
Distribution:bora
Components:user

Third: Get software
Then bookmard this one, gronmayer.com/it/, that is your software bank, check out your fav ones
choose 2008OS
-DiskUsage - tell you about your storage conditions
-GPE file manager
-emelfm2

This one is NOT for new owner. I would get yelled at by putting it here! I am obsessed with a softreboot button, so for completeness...here we go,
Fourth: get a reboot button,*** this one is dangerous, do it onlly if you are comfortable AND probably after several years of ownership ***
This is from the master, Fanoush, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...d.php?p=129229, thread #7
__________________________________________________ ____________________
open xterm
sudo gainroot
vi /etc/systemui/systemui.xml
position cursor on beginning of comment <!-- above reboot item, enter dd (press d twice) to delete it
position cursor on end of comment -->, enter dd (press d twice) to delete it
enter ZZ (twice shift + z) to save

It is critical to not to mess this file or your tablet will not boot. Do it slowly. Enter :q! to exit vi without saving if you are not sure what you entered.

You may also just move the comment beginning <!-- below the reboot item to leave other items still disabled but it is harder.
__________________________________________________ __________________
This is the way I did it,
xterm
sudo gainroot
emelfm2
/etc/systemui/systemui.xml #highlite the filename then click the icon with a pencil on a document, icon #7 from top, or the icon right below an eye
#************************you have to be very very very careful, as the editing is very 'slippery'*********************
follow http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...t=20241&page=2, thread #13

Basically, you moved the beginning of the comment "<!--" from its current position to bottom 6th line position, to open up those "commands" that have been disabled by being "commented". That is all to it, just move around the beginning comment sign. But be careful NOT to accidentally touch/move/delete anything else.

I uncomment all of them by moving the line to bottom sixth line, right after the last <callback> then <menuitem>. I found out they all can be handy, here is how it look like before I save the file. Again, if you mess up, your tablet would need to go back to Nokia, be very very very careful.

After you save the file, reboot. Now when you press the power button, a shiney brand new power menu will show, as shown here.

welcome to the community,

bun
Attached Images

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-06-15 at 23:20.

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
Yo space;

Welcome;

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...562#post192562
Steve

Last edited by stevecrye; 2008-06-18 at 02:53.

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Since you have a virgin machine the first thing I'd recommend is clone it to a 2GB SD card using penguinbaits excellent deb.. You now have a safety net.
PLEASE use the Wiki

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
First, my suggestion to you.

Second, a sorta n00b question of my own: what's the virtue of "soft poweroff"/soft reboot?

Rebooting from the menu is handy if you e.g. flash the kernel, and then wish to reboot; a little quicker than shutting it down, waiting, and then holding the button for 2 seconds to power back up.

Soft Poweroff is rather broken in current OS2008, but fixed in Diablo. It lets you have the lights go out, screen and keys locked, and optionally disable radios (either always or only when no active connections exist), and then bring it out with a single power-key press. It's quite nice.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
but fixed in Diablo.
No, no it's not. It occasionally works, but mostly it's just less consistent in its implementation of brokeness.

OK, fixed in my Diablo. There's a distinct problem of the systemui crashing, which is usually triggered by actuating soft-poweroff with long-hold powerkey, but softpoweroff itself works flawlessly.

At the very least, it may be fixed in Diablo when it's released.

(Explanation for bystanders: Nokia left a repository open with some Diablo files that should have been password-protected; a number of us got a poor-man's Diablo running on our tablets, and while Nokia has passworded the repo now, once you've got it installed, updates still work. We're more-or-less tracking Nokia's internal beta releases, but (perhaps depending on initial install technique?) we're seeing substantial variations in a few behaviors.)

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
. . . but (perhaps depending on initial install technique?) we're seeing substantial variations in a few behaviors.)
I'm gonna blame this one on a combination of mce.ini setup and device usage patterns.