Currently testing a Nokia 770 but can't re-flash the OS due to orders from my boss. So the questions come:

Since a TCL/TK package is available, some questions come up:

+ Can the package be installed on the basic OS (not the developer re-flash)

+ If yes, do I have to unzip it on a PC or is there a zip-Tool?

And second question: After reading through the Maemo "Getting started" stuff, it seems like I can do cross-development and initial testing by using an x86 based Linux box. Is that correct?

Originally Posted by mbrinkhues
Currently testing a Nokia 770 but can't re-flash the OS due to orders from my boss. So the questions come:

Since a TCL/TK package is available, some questions come up:

+ Can the package be installed on the basic OS (not the developer re-flash)
Yes. (Unless there's something unusual about that particular package.)

+ If yes, do I have to unzip it on a PC or is there a zip-Tool?
Just use the 770 browser to go to the web page where the package is available, and click on the package download link. The 770 will then automatically open its Application Installer and allow you to install the package.

And second question: After reading through the Maemo "Getting started" stuff, it seems like I can do cross-development and initial testing by using an x86 based Linux box. Is that correct?
Yes, exactly.

Regards, Neil

The Following User Says Thank You to neiljerram For This Useful Post:
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Devon, UK
No, tcl/tk doesn't install using the application installer. You just download and gunzip the single executable. So you'll need to install Xterm first, and then everything else is pretty much as for any other Linux system.

See http://wiki.tcl.tk/15408

Originally Posted by msaunby
No, tcl/tk doesn't install using the application installer. You just download and gunzip the single executable. So you'll need to install Xterm first, and then everything else is pretty much as for any other Linux system.

See http://wiki.tcl.tk/15408
Thanks. I already have the XTerm installed and the package downloaded. Should have thought about using the first for the latter

An add on:

The TCL/TK system does not work if you store it on the memory card since you can not set the permissions

Hey. Could you gentlemen in this thread please take a look at my request, I have not been able to solve my problem and/or get enough help.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=84307

Did you realize that you're posting in a thread over six YEARS old?

The Following User Says Thank You to jcharpak For This Useful Post:
+ Do you realize Tcl/Tk has changed very, very little over the last six years?

+ Do you realize I am talking about an old Tcl/Tk package anyway?

+ Do you realize Maemo has changed little too, considering Nokia has pretty much abandoned it?

+ Do you realize the forum is still running?

+ Do you realize the thread has not been blocked or deleted?

+ Do you realize this is the MAEMO.org forum, and that Maemo is a legacy platform? What are you even doing here if you dislike "old topics"?

If everyone involved in this thread is now dead, which would absolutely make it impossible for them to reply, then I'm sorry. I most certainly do not realize that. If they still live, though, then there is hope.

There is code in the Tclers' wiki that I shared but could not post directly, so I put it up on my own website and posted a link. Over seven YEARS old (emphasis yours). The link is still valid, in case someone wants the code.

Do you have any other useful contribution to make, Mr. Life of the Party?

The Following User Says Thank You to lucm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
You can bump any thread you like, but the original participants in this thread have not posted on talk.maemo.org for four or five years, so I don't expect you'll get any answers from them.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post: