Active Topics

Hi, I'm trying to create a symbolic link to a shell script I'm writing in a directory I created (/home/user/scripts) from a "visible" directory like MyDocs/.documents/ so that I can edit the file in a GUI editor like LeafPad. However, when I try (from MyDocs/.documents)

"ln -s /home/user/scripts/example.sh example.txt"

I get the following: "ln: example.txt: Operation not permitted".

I tried with root access and same deal. An alternative question might be, is there a way to use text editing applications (e.g. LeafPad) to edit shell scripts that aren't within MyDocs?

I've been using vi to create and edit the files up till now, but in some cases I would prefer to use a graphical text editor. Any help is much appreciated.

Originally Posted by airjordan17 View Post
Hi, I'm trying to create a symbolic link to a shell script I'm writing in a directory I created (/home/user/scripts) from a "visible" directory like MyDocs/.documents/ so that I can edit the file in a GUI editor like LeafPad. However, when I try (from MyDocs/.documents)

"ln -s /home/user/scripts/example.sh example.txt"

I get the following: "ln: example.txt: Operation not permitted".

I tried with root access and same deal. An alternative question might be, is there a way to use text editing applications (e.g. LeafPad) to edit shell scripts that aren't within MyDocs?

I've been using vi to create and edit the files up till now, but in some cases I would prefer to use a graphical text editor. Any help is much appreciated.
The file system for Mydocs does not support symbolic links. This is yet another example of the collateral damage from using FAT file systems as the de facto standard for data exchange between systems.

You could make a MyDocs/.documents/scripts directory with the script and put the symbolic link in /home/user/scripts, but Mydocs is mounted noexec by default, and you should not change that without understanding the risks involved.

MyDocs does not support symbolic links, because it's fat32 filesystem.

You can start leafpad from command line too, if that helps.

Thanks, guys. Much appreciated.