Active Topics

Hi all, I am very interested in getting the n800 and have a question and if some one may have the answer i would really be set at ease. I purchased the 770 and gotomypc would not work ,Iwas able to log on to the web site but could not get it to activate. Does anyone know if it will work on th n800. and if so would i have to install any special programs.Thanks for any input. Prenubbie.. Ray

You will probably need to use either rdesktop or vnc. Is the computer you are connecting to running Windows XP Pro? XP Home?

I've never used gotomypc.com but it looks like they use java which the n800 doesnt have.

i am using windows xp home?

You would have to use vnc then (since remote desktop requires xp pro), install free edition of VNC from here (i would recommend letting installer install the server as a service) :
http://www.realvnc.com/download.html

You would also download the vnc viewer nokia app (should work on either 770 or 800) :
http://vncviewer.garage.maemo.org/

You would need to go through initial configuration of server, search this forum for help setting up theres a number of threads... here's one :
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=8248

Mainly you will probably need to set windows firewall and/or open up a port on router if you want to remote from outside lan.

Originally Posted by pannyman View Post
Hi all, I am very interested in getting the n800 and have a question and if some one may have the answer i would really be set at ease. I purchased the 770 and gotomypc would not work ,Iwas able to log on to the web site but could not get it to activate. Does anyone know if it will work on th n800. and if so would i have to install any special programs.Thanks for any input. Prenubbie.. Ray
The answers you got don't really help you much, I'm afraid. As a new owner of N900 I've got the same question.

The Java applet that Gotomypc/Citrix use, as far as I can tell, can't be launched by either of the browsers.

That said, as soon as the browsers would be able to launch a JRE plugin the gotomypc applet should work. I've got my fingers crossed.

[For anyone else -- to suggest VNC when the company uses GotoMyPC or GotoMeeting is like suggesting riding a bike at the Autobahn in Germany. It's the wrong cure.]

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by jazzmadrazz View Post
The answers you got don't really help you much, I'm afraid. As a new owner of N900 I've got the same question.

The Java applet that Gotomypc/Citrix use, as far as I can tell, can't be launched by either of the browsers.

That said, as soon as the browsers would be able to launch a JRE plugin the gotomypc applet should work. I've got my fingers crossed.

[For anyone else -- to suggest VNC when the company uses GotoMyPC or GotoMeeting is like suggesting riding a bike at the Autobahn in Germany. It's the wrong cure.]

Hmmm, it seems to me that you can't use gotomypc? right??

So then VNC and Rdesktop are possible options for you. No need to get your panties in bunch. People were just trying to help..
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

+1 for the panties / bunch sentiment!

if you really are after gotomypc and nothing else will suffice then you could install easy-deb-chroot onto your n900, I understand that is capable of running java in the browser, though I couldn't comment on performance...