Active Topics

Any concrete statement as to whether the production units are identical in hardware to the 300 pre-release units. Eg such as
- screen material. Micheal Jervitz from my-symbian claimed to have an easily scratchable screen.
- digital compass
- slide mechanism. I think chippy from umcportal had a dead screen
etc etc?

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
- screen material. Micheal Jervitz from my-symbian claimed to have an easily scratchable screen.
It was never an easily scratchable screen, sand will scratch many things, and is not something you would normally have in your pockets, unless you live near a beach, in which case, get a screen protector/case. A sapphire crystal coating is the only thing that will protect it effectively enough from scratches, and you'll only find those on the overpriced, under-featured "high-end" phones such as Vertu, Tag Heuer, etc. Even then, a sapphire crystal can be scratched by diamonds or anything of a similar hardness. Sapphire or diamond crystal covering will make the N900 way too expensive.

Originally Posted by Thor View Post
It was never an easily scratchable screen, sand will scratch many things, and is not something you would normally have in your pockets, unless you live near a beach, in which case, get a screen protector/case. A sapphire crystal coating is the only thing that will protect it effectively enough from scratches, and you'll only find those on the overpriced, under-featured "high-end" phones such as Vertu, Tag Heuer, etc. Even then, a sapphire crystal can be scratched by diamonds or anything of a similar hardness. Sapphire or diamond crystal covering will make the N900 way too expensive.
Since Micheal has access to many difference devices, I was assuming his assessment was already 'relative' to other devices he's used. I.e it seemed to imply *HIS* n900 scratched easier than other Nokia devices he's used in the past.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Actually, coins and keys tend to be the biggest problem. Also some cable connectors (including some earbuds) are coated for hardness. Chromium is very high on the Mohs scale and is the bane of screens, especially resistive screens which have to have the resistive layer on top.

The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
It seemed to be sorta established that complaints about the easily scratchable screen were actually reports that the thin screen protector that is meant to be thrown away anyway was scratching. We got that a lot when the N800 came out, too. The screen protector isn't that easy to spot.

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Dominican Republic
maybe those products can help you

Screen Guard

Cover

The hardware will be exactly the same.
Any changes they make need to go through FCC again and I don't think that's possible within a month time (Maemo summit until today)

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
It seemed to be sorta established that complaints about the easily scratchable screen were actually reports that the thin screen protector that is meant to be thrown away anyway was scratching. We got that a lot when the N800 came out, too. The screen protector isn't that easy to spot.
Nokia fixed that problem with the N900. The shipping screen protector is opaque black.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Nokia fixed that problem with the N900. The shipping screen protector is opaque black.
Maybe that's both the easter egg and a hardware difference: a clear screen protector.

Posts: 219 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
with very high pressure sand can slice through 2 inches of stainless steel.