Active Topics

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
I'm considering giving my father a 770 for Christmas. He's very computer literate and has seen me with my device(s). I'd like to get the 770 to where he can use some stuff right out of the box.

He's a amateur radio operator. Does anyone use a tablet for ham radio? Can anyone suggest some software I can compile and use?

Thanks! Any clues are welcome.

-- Mike

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
Maybe this could be helpful...some are freeware
http://www.dxsoft.com/
(I am a former ham radio operator but long time disconnected)

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
Other, most complete catalog...

http://www.dxzone.com/catalog/Software/

most are windows based, but palm os too!

Last edited by akd; 2007-12-03 at 17:24.

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Northern Virginia, USA
I'm semi-active and would love to have some applications on the 770 to use for portable/mobile HF (shortwave). I have used some of the Palm-based apps, so I know what a much more capable computer could do for me. With a live internet connection, web-based apps (DX spots, propagation reports, satellite predictions, chat and email groups) would be available. I haven't found stand-alone apps that work, at least amongst the ones of interest to me (APRS, psk31, satellite tracking and antenna/station control). There are Linux-based apps in all these categories, they would need to be ported to the Internet Tablet. I haven't been able to get any of the Palm based ones I've used to run on the Garnet VM on the 770 (OS 2006).

I love my N770 and have an 800 on the way, but the easiest way to provide a small and inexpensive computer for ham radio is still a laptop. The Asus EeePC might be more than sufficient. Good luck.