Active Topics

Hello everybody, am I the only one who has problems with horizontally scrolling emails? No matter how little I scroll emails that can't fit the screen horizontally, immedially I lift my finger off the screen it switches to next email, depending which direction I am scrolling.

Is that a bug on the email software or is it supposed to act that way?

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
its a feature that is unrefined. there should be an option to disable swiping to next email...hopefully someone shows where is the file to disable it.

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
It's a bug that only occurs if you opened the email from notification.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Oh, I never realized that difference....thank you for this info! At least now I can avoid that bug.

I don't see the difference. it's way too sensible no.matter where I open the mail from.

All right, I have a much more practical solution. I have noticed this issue, and I agree with Taviman that the sensitivity issue seems present all the time. But if you know how to navigate, the sensitivity is actually more of a feature than a bug.

Here's the secret: when you get to a wide email and need to swipe to see the far side of the email, but don't want to accidentally go to the next email, then (1) put your finger on the N9, (2) swipe horizontally to reveal the side you couldn't see, and (3) WITHOUT LIFTING YOUR FINGER, swipe downward, so that your finger traces sort of a sideways “L” shape. The downward part of this advanced swipe only needs to be a short one-inch type move. This way, the email will not advance to the next email, but stay on the one you are reading. This is my preferred way, but . . .

You can also pan over to the far edge of a wide email by VERY gently swiping near the center of the screen and it will scroll over and stop. You have to have some skill to do this, sort of like finding the 'G' spot of the N9. Soon, you will be navigating between emails and within emails as you like.

Last edited by Hacker; 2012-06-20 at 09:01.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hacker For This Useful Post:
Jeez, will my fingers get wet from this G-spot thing?

Yeah, I agree: the not lifting finger works; Still I'm sure this can be made to work properly, similar to the the rest of swiping.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taviman For This Useful Post:
The same problem is in the Feed application for reading articles off RSS sources. Really, really frustrating. I'd rather have the swipe gesture turned off.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
the reason for this so-called feature's poor implementation is due to Nokia not implementing HTML emails to be received via MfE. only using MeMailSettings allows you to enable. Nokia's thought was that with no HTML why would you need to scroll horizontally...as usual they always miss out some things...

you could view in landscape mode as that usually would fit the whole email in. still i would prefer to switch off the swiping to next email...

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Karhula, Finland
Is there any fix for this at the moment?

Or is there propably an alternative application to use with emails?