Active Topics

Hey guys,
My N900 got wet in my pocket during a very heavy thunderstorm and now the slider is somewhat damaged.
The Main symptoms is, that the screen turns on for a glimpse and turns off again when sliding the keyboard out.
I did a little bit of debugging and found out that the slider is actually fine, but the keyboard lock (the thing on the right side ) is completely broken, so the kernel receives no events when I use it. The strange thing is, the keyboard_lock event fires when the slider is opened, which causes the symptom I described.

Do you have any idea how to fix that? Maybe disabling the keyboard lock alltogether (I wasn't using it too often anyway) or a hardware fix?

Best regards,
Flyser

The Following User Says Thank You to Flyser For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Not sure about a quick fix but I sure as h311 had the same problem for a while. Random screen flickering as if the keylock slider were operated. Sometimes it went for all night. Imagine the mess it caused in BackupMenu (for the uninformed, BackupMenu uses the keylock switch as a restart button).

It took me a while to figure out it was caused by moisture. Eventually it fixed itself, I guess just by properly drying out.

Keep it in a dry place (some suggest a bowl of rice (uncooked )) for a couple of days and keep it away from steamy bathrooms and the like.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
N900 (disassembled) submerged in silica gel in airtight bag is even much (*much*) more effective, than bag of rice. But, it should be done just after "incident", as now, it may be too late.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Flyser View Post
Maybe disabling the keyboard lock alltogether (I wasn't using it too often anyway) or a hardware fix?
Your wish is my command:

Code:
# echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/gpio-switch/kb_lock/disable
Run this after each reboot (as upstart script, in /sbin/preinit, etc.) and your hardware lock switch will remain disabled.

NOTE: I don't know if anything (other than echo 0 > .../disable) will decide to activate the switch at any time.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Open the damm thing and use ethyl alchol to clean it with a tooth brush . Now please stop using it until cleaned as i suspect nothing has been damaged yet

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
@Estel, the "incident" may not be as dramatic as dropping the thing in the loo. In my case it just started playing up for no obvious reason. It was only a few more observations over a period of a few months when I noticed that it was more likely to happen after leaving the phone in the bathroom while taking a shower that I made the connection with moisture. I fear that even such a simple thing as carrying it in the pocket may cause it again, if the weather gets hot and humid.

Last edited by pichlo; 2013-06-21 at 13:22. Reason: Added link to another post

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 280 | Thanked: 295 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Romania
As some other users said, disassemble (it's easy) and clean up all the contacts (with lots and lots and lots of good alcohol). Let it dry (after cleaning with alcohol) for about 24hours (not really needed, but to be sure no absolutely now liquid is left inside - better to let it dry outside the window, in a plate with silica gel packs). Check for the sliding magnet to be in place, put it back together and reflash (just to be sure).

If you still have problems, buy another slider, if the problem still persists... You have a hardware problem (because you used it while WET) and you can disable that function if it doesn't bother you, or get a new device.

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Dont use lots of alchol it will leave strains like scraches and will do extensive damage for the drying part i use hot air gun . U can use a hair drier or simply leave it in airy place for 15 minuts
@op why messing with the wounded device ?? I belive nothing has damaged yet but will have permenant damage if u try to use or repetedly check if its working or not

Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
why messing with the wounded device ??
Ask that the next time you cut your finger or bump your head.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 280 | Thanked: 295 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Romania
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
Dont use lots of alchol it will leave strains like scraches and will do extensive damage for the drying part i use hot air gun . U can use a hair drier or simply leave it in airy place for 15 minuts
HAIR DRIER ON CIRCUITS... And you laughed in my face because of that soldering iron? Man you are just... Pathetic (op this have nothing to do with you).

Don't use a hair dryer--its heat can fry your phone's insides.
Even a air gun can make some damage. When I said alcohol I didn't meant 100% pure distillate alcohol, I meant 24-38% medicinal alcohol (you know, those bottles with a hot nurse with blue liquid inside). That is safe, you can even let the board soak in it and do 0 damage. And if nokiabot have something to add, I can prove it, with pictures, that IT NEVER LEAVES STAINS "LIKE SCRATCHES" and it's the safest method.

Also, check this out: http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...o/tips/4269047

Tags
nokia n900, water damage