Active Topics

Hi, I've had my N800 for about a week and I have much to learn... When I can't find a Wifi connection nearby, it sure would be nice if I could use my Verizon cellphone to get online for internet/email. I have a Samsung SCH-a870 which supports Bluetooth DUN, but I'm stumped. I suspect it is possible to get this phone to do what I want, but also suspect I have the wrong phone (it would be a lot easier if I had the LG enV, or ....).

Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance,

Brian

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Can you provide more details? How far have you got... have you paired the phone with the N800 OK? If so, at what point in the connection process does it fail? Have you got the correct DUN details in the N800 (there's a mistake in the settings for Cingular users). On the whole "it should just work" after you have paired the phone with the Phone Wizard.

Can you connect your phone to your laptop for websurfing?

if not go to the verizon forum on howardforums.com to find out how to enable your phone to do EVDO DUN capability.

Milhouse: phone paired, yes... but not correctly until just now. I couldn't get DUN to start up until just now.

The DUN connection fires up on the phone, but cannot complete/login. I've got a bad phone# or logon info. Is the UserID my phone# (no dashes) ?

Is the password the same one I use on the Verizon web site, or the same as my vmail password, or something else entirely?

How am I charged for the minutes?

thanks!!

The Following User Says Thank You to parking.guy For This Useful Post:
Madman: >Can you connect your phone to your laptop for websurfing?

No, my laptop doesn't do bluetooth.
I'll check out howardsforums.com, thanks

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by parking.guy View Post
Milhouse: phone paired, yes... but not correctly until just now. I couldn't get DUN to start up until just now.

The DUN connection fires up on the phone, but cannot complete/login. I've got a bad phone# or logon info. Is the UserID my phone# (no dashes) ?

Is the password the same one I use on the Verizon web site, or the same as my vmail password, or something else entirely?

How am I charged for the minutes?

thanks!!
The user (username, password, access point) details should be the same for all users however it's entirely possible they're incorrect in the N800 firmware as there is a mistake with the Cingular setup. Hopefully someone has got BT DUN working with Verizon and confirm the correct settings, or else check the Howard Forums and someone can confirm the BT DUN Verizon settings there (it shouldn't matter you are using an N800 as this is purely a phone issue).

Best of luck If you do get it working, please post back here what you did as it might be useful to someone else in future!

is the connection type "data call" or "packet data" ?

I've tried the vzw settings, and also tried to connect to my earthlink.net dialup #. Now it's turning my phone off after the failed connection. Neat trick.

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Chandler, AZ, USA
Originally Posted by parking.guy View Post
is the connection type "data call" or "packet data" ?

I've tried the vzw settings, and also tried to connect to my earthlink.net dialup #. Now it's turning my phone off after the failed connection. Neat trick.
According to VZW support your phone isnt listed on the list of phones that work with bluetooth DUN
. I know there are some phones that they claim don't work with the DUN profile, cellphonehacks.com usually has a ton of good info as well as howardforums as someone else mentioned. Unless you get a data plan though it might get a little pricy to use it as a dun modem regularly.