Active Topics

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Brooksville, Florida
For wider range of testing, I thought it might be useful to post working 2.6.33.2 binaries for N810. Obviously not *everything* works, but it's at least somewhat usable, including wifi. Untested with Maemo and MeeGo userlands, but I can get to Gentoo through userland.

Kernel zImage
Modules (bzip2'd tar)
Source code (bzip2'd tar)
Git repository

Prerequisites:
- Working vanilla-Linux rootfs
- Diablo initfs with latest bootmenu (or otherwise configured to boot your rootfs)
- Nokia's "flasher" utility on a PC connected to your N810 over USB
Basically, you should be able to boot your rootfs with the Diablo kernel before trying this...

To test:
- Download modules.tbz2 to your N810; extract it in your to-be rootfs: bzip2 -d < modules.tbz2 | tar -xvp -C /path/to/rootfs/
- Download zImage to your host machine, connect the N810 to USB, and run:./flasher -k zImage -lb
- Reboot N810

NOTE: This will only boot 2.6.33.2 temporarily-- it will NOT flash the kernel partition. When you reboot your device again, it will boot the last kernel you were using. Therefore, this *should* be a safe test. However, I make no guarantees or promises: test at your own risk.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Luke-Jr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 15 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Nanjing,China
can i use this kernel on N800 ?

You can try. Pretty sure at least the touchscreen won't work, but WiFi, USB, and video should...

Hi!

Thanks for sharing this.

I tried to boot with this kernel, but it simply wants to load 2.6.21-omap1 modules, and everything breaks... could you give me some advice?

What I've done:

1. Fresh install of Diablo, including kernel, rootfs and initfs.
2. untar the modules you posted above
3. Flash/load the kernel image, no success.

I hope you can help, thanks!

One of the prerequisites listed was vanilla Linux. Maemo is not vanilla. It will not work with Maemo/Diablo.

Originally Posted by mitoyarzun View Post
I tried to boot with this kernel, but it simply wants to load 2.6.21-omap1 modules, and everything breaks... could you give me some advice?
The initfs /linuxrc wants to load modules from /lib/modules/current, which is a symlink to /lib/modules/2.6.21-omap1. Unfortunately there isn't enough space there to have both versions installed. Additionally, some modules are not there in the 2.6.33.2 build (eg USB gadget stuff) so it wouldn't be a drop-in replacement in any case.

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ San Jose, California, USA
Any chance you can post the .config file for this kernel?

Or any other bootable kernel, for that matter. Yours is the first kernel I've managed to actually boot, aside from the stock maemo kernel. I've found several online which do not boot, and I've compiled my own which, of course, also does not boot.

I would, but I'm not sure I have it anymore... Pretty sure it should be the n810_defconfig (or n8x0_defconfig?) included with the sources... If you need help, maybe ping me on IRC?

Thanks for the reply.
I haven't used IRC in decades, but I can if that's the best way. What server/net and channel?

I've used the n8x0_defconfig, and I just get the 'nokia' splash for a minute or so before it shuts down. I've tried enabling fb console so I can at least get some clues, but so far without any success. Either it's not even getting that far, or I don't have the console set up right.