Active Topics

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Chennai
Hi Maemo Lovers,

I have been using my iphone 3GS almost 8 months and bit bored with Phone toy not much impreseed with iOS4 and decided to change over .

My First choice is N900, the multitasking powerhouse and good hacking geek device which can port Andrioid,Meego .

So i decided to sell my iphone 3GS hoping to buy N900 . If u guys help me to give suggestion is this is right switchover from iphone 3GS to N900.

Thanks,
Ram

if can live without the icandy. then the switch will fulfill you needs and more

cn

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 663 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australia (Melbourne/vic) / Lebanon (Zgharta/north)
welcome abord mate, and yes u made the right choise, you'll find that this device is very easy to use, it CAN DO EVERYTHING, and its very easy to get used to it, there are unlimited possibilities of customizing, so u won't get bored at all, if you miss all the games and apps u had with the ios, just install nitdroid, u can have all the android games and apps and widgets! working ( just go to google and search for nitdroid and take a look at the latest vids ).
open source community rocks, and thnis forum is the best on the web, there is a lots of brillianr people here that wants to help others.
multitasking rocks ! and web browsing is awesome !
post from my n900 .

The Following User Says Thank You to elie-7 For This Useful Post:
icandy or isore?

i would suggest that you go over some of posts before jumping on board, as quite a lot of people are disgruntled with the gadget (not phone, not computer!). personally, the gadget could have been better both as a phone and as a computer but there is nothing like a perfect phone/computer. i love it but can also understand reasons why others dont...good luck with your decision....

Posts: 424 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by uk_ramprasad View Post
Hi Maemo Lovers,

I have been using my iphone 3GS almost 8 months and bit bored with Phone toy not much impreseed with iOS4 and decided to change over .

My First choice is N900, the multitasking powerhouse and good hacking geek device which can port Andrioid,Meego .

So i decided to sell my iphone 3GS hoping to buy N900 . If u guys help me to give suggestion is this is right switchover from iphone 3GS to N900.

Thanks,
Ram
You are able to do many things with N900.
But what are your needs? If it does not fullfill most of your needs in the first place, you are just going to get disipointed. Ask us and we will answer if it is posible and how.
N900 isnt like other phones, if you like Linux or you are interested in learning Linux (like me), N900 is the ****. Maemo is very flexible and the possibilities is very good. But in the other end, an application can stop running because of an update for another application, not very thou often, but Gas-Balls scrowed ApMeFo some time ago just as an example.
N900 does have great hardware allthou some stuff is missing like compass and some like multi-touch (but resitive screen is very usefull in other sittuations, like the game Open Transport Tycoon).

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
if you are looking for a Phone, then don't go for the N900

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Even though the n900 is a power house it could take a while learning before you can harness it's full potential. It will take at least a month before you do that. Your needs and background are very important when choosing a phone. For me the n900 couldn't be better. No other phone could.

The iPhone is pretty brain dead in comparison.

Sure you could make it simple for you and just poke around it it's basic functionality. But then you would most likely not get happy.

So what is your background?

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

if you can live without portrait mode and a bit heavier load in your pocket, then go ahead and get the N900

you need to be a bit more techy too

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ St. Paul, MN
It really depends on what you're looking for, I'm slightly techy and my wife is anything but. We both love the n900. It's a great media player, web browser, daytime camera and the phone works great for us in MN on T-mobile.

What'd I'd do if I were you is make a list of your absolute necessities and then what you'd like but isn't a deal breaker...then do some searching here and see if you're needs are covered.

I.E. If you need google maps and don't want to bother with a different maps program...think twice. I'm fine with OVI maps but it seems many bought this with the expectation that support would be forthcoming...as ysss said buy on what it has now, not what 'should' be working at a later date.

Sounds like you have the right attitude from your post, if you like to tinker, you won't be disappointed. I've had mine since last November and I'm nowhere near bored yet.