Active Topics

Just spent the day installing the new OS2008 Internet Comms beta, (see http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=14313)
It was hard work, as the 15 pages on that thread might suggest, but I finally got there...

So, I decided to start setup with the easy stuff - trying to get e-mail working.

I set up my gmail accounts OK - both incoming & outgoing are working fine. Really nice to have the LED come on when a new e-mail arrives - neat.

I then tried setting up my ordinary e-mail account - my provider is 1and1. Incoming email works fine. However, I cannot get the outgoing email working at all - I get the error message 'SMTP send operation failed. Please try again later.'

I've double checked all my outgoing SMTP settings - they're set to the same as my laptop, which is working fine on the same account.

I've spoken with the 1and1 helpdesk, and gone through all the SMTP setting options with them. (They'd not heard of the Nokia Internet Tablet tho', but were very patient and tried hard...)

I've tried just about every permutation there is in the outgoing mail SMTP setup, without success. Cannot work out how it works with gmail, but not 1and1.

So, some questions that someone may have the answers to...
1. Has anyone else installed the OS2008 IC upgrade and succeeded in getting SMTP working with a non-Google email account ?
2. Has anyone got it working with a 1and1 account ?
3. Could it be a bug with the software, or is it my finger trouble ?

TIA

Walter

Last edited by Wally; 2008-01-13 at 00:36.

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Boston, MA
Not sure if this is even close to your problem but I was stumped setting up my hosted smtp (from www.gate.com) server earlier today and after talking to their tech support I found out that my ISP (RCN cable) blocks port 25 which means that I cannot connect to the smtp server from home which is a little frustating. It seems that ISP's blocking port 25 is pretty common as I did a google search afterwards and got a lot of hits... Other smtp servers I have no problems with (gmail) as they are on other ports!

Again not even sure if this is even close to your problem but worth a check at least.

Jeremy.

Jeremy

Thanks for the reply.
Do you also have email set up on a PC going through the same router & ISP ?

I'd wondered about the possibility you suggest but I couldn't understand how, if my ISP did block port 25, that my PC email would be working ?

When I spoke with 1and1 they suggested trying port 587 instead, but this didn't help.

Walter

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Boston, MA
I have hosting with gate.com not 1and1 and their smtp server runs on port 25... I found out after talking to their tech support that certain ISP's block port 25 (http://www.postcastserver.com/help/P..._Blocking.aspx - google returns a lot of hits on this so it seems to be pretty popular) which is the default smtp port. So thanks to RCN blocking port 25 I cannot connect to my gate smtp server from my home laptop.

Sounds like you may have other issues though but its worth checking into at the least...

Google's servers use SSL: does 1and1 have an SSL-enabled SMTP server you can use?

Beyond that, I'd try installing telnet and manually sending a message via 1and1. If that works, it's a tablet issue: if not, it's a server issue.

Since your laptop works, it's not an ISP issue. One down, two to go

Wally - did you ever solve this? I have the same issue but I am with fastmail.

Any ideas / suggestions????