Active Topics

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 120 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Wanted to add to the joy and happiness on this forum

Just saw that the guys over at worldofnokia.co.uk decided to close down their site: http://www.worldofnokia.co.uk/2010/0...okia-to-close/

It wasn't exactly the biggest site dedicated to Nokia smarpthones (I think I might have ran into it once or twice but that's about it) but it's interesting to look at the reasons they invoke for closing the site down:

"
Seeing as this is the final post I thought it only right to explain the reason behind the closing of the site and to be brutal its the fact Nokia have stopped being as creative as they once were not that long ago. The N95 was a modern masterpiece with the exception of the poor battery life but since then there has been a total lack in creativity.

Nearly every phone launched until the new C/X series was a small update of the phone it was surpassing which itself was only a few months old (just how many versions of the 5800 and N95 did we really need??).

The software continues to be bug filled on these new £500 devices and the final straw for a lot of people was the disaster called the Nokia N97 which at £50 a month in the UK some places to get free was far too overpriced and only once the new software came out at last year’s Nokia World could people finally start taking it seriously……..but also at the same time as announcing a software update they announce the N97 Mini (again the same phone but just bits missing and smaller) and the N900 which also will not be getting the MeeGo update everyone was hoping for.
"

Pretty stupid of them to close up with S^3, MeeGo and S^4 coming up in the following months.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
Pretty stupid of them to close up with S^3, MeeGo and S^4 coming up in the following months.
To be honest, after having looked at the official video demos of the N8 (S^3), I really can't see how that's going to change anything.

As far as I can see, it's the same old boring and clunky UI they've been dragging along for years. Sure, there's a nice camera and a few minor tweaks here and there but it's really nothing to write home about. And being Nokia, you just know that the first firmware is going to be riddled with bugs and that it'll take them months to make it what it should have been on release day. I'd love to be optimistic but I really can't see how that's going to be anything but another big backlash.

As for S^4 and Meego for smartphones, we haven't seen anything yet.

Originally Posted by mehdiE View Post
To be honest, after having looked at the official video demos of the N8 (S^3), I really can't see how that's going to change anything.

As far as I can see, it's the same old boring and clunky UI they've been dragging along for years. Sure, there's a nice camera and a few minor tweaks here and there but it's really nothing to write home about.
Regarding the N8, for the price point, for what is actually capable of doing; it does change a lot. About Symbian^3; it is actually exactly what the Symbian Foundation said they were going to deliver. It is not ground-breaking; but considering the state of S60v5, I think it is a nice improvement.

And being Nokia, you just know that the first firmware is going to be riddled with bugs and that it'll take them months to make it what it should have been on release day. I'd love to be optimistic but I really can't see how that's going to be anything but another big backlash.
You know, I would really like to have that magic ball that allows you to see the future. Let's wait for the actual release to make any judgement. It's not like any of the smatphone platforms haven't had any bugs on their release either.

As for S^4 and Meego for smartphones, we haven't seen anything yet.
We have seen some things. Not UI yet; but that is not everything.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
usually in these situations the reasons given for closing down are not the real reasons. probably something went wrong on their side which they don't want to admit... so they put the blame on nokia.

what it boils down to is "we are not successful any more, so we close down."

You know, I would really like to have that magic ball that allows you to see the future. Let's wait for the actual release to make any judgement. It's not like any of the smatphone platforms haven't had any bugs on their release either.
Well, I can't see the future but I've experienced the past, having used Nokia-flavoured smartphones day in and day out for the past 6 years (and still using them, as irrational as this might be). I normally tend to be quite an optimistic person, but I think Nokia finally manage to drain that trait away from me

So a Nokia blog closes because it doesn't like Nokia anymore. Am I missing something here?

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
so whats next for them ?, world of Apple ? hahah

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Near as I can tell, if you read between the lines, they're effectively closing down because they've become bored with Nokia. Doesn't seem particularly interesting or distressing. I think a lot of people are increasingly becoming either bored or annoyed with Nokia lately. To have a Nokia, these days, is to feel like you have a previous-generation brand. I don't feel that Nokia hasn't wow'ed anyone in a while despite the hype that only seems to exist within their own ads.

Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
totally agree with the n97 point of view, it was unusable until FW2.0 came out, and i vowed never to give them my cash again, but here i am now on the awesome (best device currently available) n900 writing this!
shows i dont know what im talking about!