Notices

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Bulgaria
Hi there,

I've just found that http://rememberthemilk.com aka RTM, are making a survey on what future enhancements they should focus. As there still does not exist proper implementation and integration of RTM on Maemo5 (I know that there are a couple of projects working on that, but they all seems half baked for now), I would like to invite all of you, who are using this great service - please, take the survey and vote for Maemo support. It will take you no more than a minute to finish it.

Survey URL:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/rememberthemilkmobile2010

Thank you

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to todor_tsankov For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I've been frustrated by exactly that for quite a while now, however, I recently was in contact with Travis Reitter, who is working on an app in the Maemo Garage, with the working name "milk", and he says it should be ready for an initial release quite soon. From the sounds of what he told me, it should be fairly feature-complete, and it should work which is better than anything that currently exists.
I'd hold off on petitioning until you see what Travis has to offer.
EDIT: my bad - I didn't realize it was an official survey from RTM, so disregard that last.

Last edited by jaem; 2010-02-02 at 12:18. Reason: posted without thinking :P

i dont use this service but i voted for you anyway

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
i voted - do you know how to view the results?
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

I just filled it out too. I'm glad they're taking an interest in Maemo now. In their "suggestions" box at the end, I put in a few ideas that are a bit far-out, but that I think are worth consideration. I'll mention them here just to put them out there. Since I got my N900, the calendar/todo app (despite its deficiencies) has been a huge productivity booster, and has largely outweighed the potential for distraction that the device brings. :P RTM, in my opinion, is far superior to the built-in todo system conceptually, not to mention in terms of implementation. One of my personal problems with productivity, though, is wasting little bits of time here and there. It's often not procrastination that's the problem, but the fact that all the "little things" pile up, especially when they have location-based constraints. For example, the campus post office is about a 15 minute walk from my dorm, so I don't usually walk over there to do a trivial task unless I'm already heading there, or it's important. Because of this, a simple todo like "mail student loan documents" may get put off for a length of time disproportionate to the duration of the actual task.
Given that the N900 is a mobile device with GPS (and the potential for other positioning services), it would be really nice if a todo app could recognize that I'm near the post office, that I have a 10 minute break between classes, and that I have a task listed as "5 minutes" and "post office", and prompt me to do it then, spontaneously. For all I know, maybe other mobile clients already do some of this, but it seems like RTM's task details are set up for this sort of application, and it would be neat to see it utilized to such a potential. Obviously, this would be done client-side, and might well be largely platform-dependent, but I for one think it would be a killer feature.
Anyhow... just throwing it out there...

Posts: 83 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Liverpool, UK
Done, not too optimistic though.

@jaem: I certainly do not want to discourage in any way the developers of these third party applications/plugins, but still I don't think that it will be bad if the RTM guys come up with an application for maemo. They already have native support for iPhone and Android, why not Maemo?
I myself had considered the fact that I can help with the development of some of these packages, but as I don't have any gtk/QT/python experience I've decided that if I'm going to help (and learn) it should be an QT based app, as this seems to be the future of Maemo. Unfortunately all the apps that I've found for now are either gtk or python based.

Originally Posted by todor_tsankov View Post
@jaem: I certainly do not want to discourage in any way the developers of these third party applications/plugins, but still I don't think that it will be bad if the RTM guys come up with an application for maemo. They already have native support for iPhone and Android, why not Maemo?
Oh, I agree - I was just speaking of duplication of effort. I'm not sure how Open Source-friendly RTM is, but if they could work with community efforts, in theory that might be better. And for that matter, if they Open Sourced their Maemo app, or extended an existing one, it would of course be better received by the community. I'd use it in any case, but I'm hoping that they'd pick up the spirit of Maemo rather than going their own way.
Originally Posted by todor_tsankov View Post
I myself had considered the fact that I can help with the development of some of these packages, but as I don't have any gtk/QT/python experience I've decided that if I'm going to help (and learn) it should be an QT based app, as this seems to be the future of Maemo. Unfortunately all the apps that I've found for now are either gtk or python based.
I'm in the same boat, as far as Python goes, and I have no time nor desire to learn GTK. Python is one of those languages that you can get away with "using" without "learning" for simple things if you already have programming experience, but to code proficiently, you'd have to invest some time to learn things properly. I don't have that kind of time, because I'm focusing on C++. FYI, though, while DoneIt, by Ed Page (eopage) is written with GTK, he's informed me that the RTM code is separate enough that writing a Qt frontend would be doable without too much pain. He stopped development of it to focus on other projects, so it's just sitting in -devel kind of broken right now, waiting for someone to pick it up.
Also, the app I mentioned earlier in the thread is written in C, if that's any better for you.
Cheers,

Originally Posted by jaem View Post
...I'm hoping that they'd pick up the spirit of Maemo rather than going their own way.
I think that even if they release the app as opensource, which will be great and indeed both sides can only benefit from this, they will still require you to have a "Pro" account in order one to be able to use such functionality. At least this is the case with the iPhone and Android apps, I think. For me personally this is perfectly reasonable and I'll be willing to upgrade and support them if they show interest in developing an app for Maemo.

Which functionality? The app, period, or the ideas I was talking about? And yes, I'd be happy to pay for the service too if they made a useful app for Maemo. For that matter, if they could sell the service rather than the software, I think it would be a better deal for everyone.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: