Active Topics

i'm sorry if that discussed before and right place to start this thread but i can't find anything.

n900 has trouble with the similar phone numbers like 10 years old mobile phones (and please don't say "it's not a phone!"). for example:

john doe 0552XXXXXXX
jane doe 0532XXXXXXX

everytime when jane calls it says john calling! i try to send an sms to john, typing the number manually, john gets it but my conversations screen says it's jane

thanks for further help and sorry for my bad english!

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by deusexmachina View Post
i'm sorry if that discussed before and right place to start this thread but i can't find anything.

n900 has trouble with the similar phone numbers like 10 years old mobile phones (and please don't say "it's not a phone!"). for example:

john doe 0552XXXXXXX
jane doe 0532XXXXXXX

everytime when jane calls it says john calling! i try to send an sms to john, typing the number manually, john gets it but my conversations screen says it's jane

thanks for further help and sorry for my bad english!
wow, have to say i didn't know that :P - best bet would be to check bugzilla. Make sure the same problem isn't logged elsewhere and log it as a bug - could get fixed in a firmware update
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

It's happened to me once but it didnt happen again

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Turin, Italy
This is not a real bug, but a workaround. I explain you how it works.
The numbers "0039340xxxx", "+39340xxxx" and "340xxxx" are the same number, but the first two have the national prefix in two different way. Therefore, the phone couldn't make an exact comparison of the phone, because if your phone book contact has the number "340xxxx", but when you receive a call/sms the operator send you the number "+39340xxxx" the phone doesn't recognize it, because "340xxxx" is different from "+39340xxxx".
The fastest solution (workaround) to fix this issue is to choose a number of digits big enough to recognize the number uniquely in the 99% of case as the probability that the same user has two almost equals number (different in the first few digits) is really really low.

Then, their solution is quite good, but not perfect and you are really unlucky to be in that 1% not covered by the workaround

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HoX For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by HoX View Post
This is not a real bug, but a workaround. I explain you how it works.
The numbers "0039340xxxx", "+39340xxxx" and "340xxxx" are the same number, but the first two have the national prefix in two different way. Therefore, the phone couldn't make an exact comparison of the phone, because if your phone book contact has the number "340xxxx", but when you receive a call/sms the operator send you the number "+39340xxxx" the phone doesn't recognize it, because "340xxxx" is different from "+39340xxxx".
The fastest solution (workaround) to fix this issue is to choose a number of digits big enough to recognize the number uniquely in the 99% of case as the probability that the same user has two almost equals number (different in the first few digits) is really really low.

Then, their solution is quite good, but not perfect and you are really unlucky to be in that 1% not covered by the workaround
thanks but you got me wrong! the numbers are +90552XXXXXXX and +90532XXXXXXX (+90 is the code for my country, Turkey), 552 and 532 are different service providers' numbers. the seven digits are the same for both contacts.

So this means the n900 checks the last 7 numbers and not the rest...?

Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by sygys View Post
So this means the n900 checks the last 7 numbers and not the rest...?
Really bad!

I just tested this. Made a new contact with the phone number of a friend but changed the prefix from
0177 XXX X XXX (my friend (call him fred) number) to
0171 XXX X XXX (a dummy (named him dummy) contact)

When my friend calls me i see the phone app saying
"fred calling".
But if I reject the call, the missed call notifications says
"one missed call: dummy".
The call log again shows the name "fred". And if I select this entry from within the call log it opens the wrong "dummy" contact.
A text message get the same wrong contact, but the conversation app opens the right conversation group!

nicolai

Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
I found two bug reports related to this wrong number comparing.

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9402
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8300

nicolai