Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
http://jaaksi.blogspot.com/2007/02/h...l-roadmap.html

Short term

In a few weeks (I hope) we'll release a new version of the OS2007 with a
-better Flash performance
-better video performance and quality
-longer usage times i.e. better power management
-fixes here and there
These are still in the owen so wait and see.
Mid term an long term goals and other stuff in the post.

Posts: 370 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Italy
Unfortunately no mention about os2006 and 770 :-(

Yes, someone just left a comment on that very subject...

Suspect he may be very wary of saying too much/too little about the 770 these days! Maybe saying nothing at all (for now) is the best option... we'll see.

Posts: 370 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Yes, someone just left a comment on that very subject...
me ...
Let`s see, but if something would have been on the road I think was worth to mention. My sensation is that balls are stop rollings and i am sad for my 770. My wife's () N800 is a great machine, but for now the 770 has become my laptop. So i continue to hope somebody will expand its capabilities a little more.
In any case, we know that there are lots of issue that Nokia is working on, and this is great.

I hope he adds a second post with a 770 roadmap, this way Ari can avoid the N800 roadmap filling up with 770 comments.

Long term

Now this gets more difficult. But we'll work on new software to improve your internet experience. And we'll get WiMAX. And ...
Is it safe to assume this WiMAX blurb does not refer to the n800's future?

I doubt that the 770 will be moved to the OS 2007 platform. I'm sure Ari intentions were good when he mention support for the 770 back in early January, but I'm sure the suits at Nokia have decided that the continual development support of the 770 isn't worth it. As someone who works in the tech industry myself its pretty rare for companies to support legacy products when new ones have been introduced, like to be wrong, but Nokia hasn't impressed me much as a consumer orientated company.

As matter of fact, except for the remote possibility of an N800, I have no plans of buying any other Nokia products due to the latter.

That confused me too - seems strange to mention that in an otherwise N800 centric posting, maybe it's Finnish humour? . After the FM Radio incident, who knows if there's a hidden WiMAX chip (doubt it though as I'm it would have been mentioned in the FCC docs or discovered during one of the dissections). Mind you, I can't see WiMAX coming to my neighbourhood (ie. London, UK) for at least another 2 years so not likely to be a big deal even if the WiMAX hardware is another N800 easter egg! I suspect WiMAX relates to the future beyond the N800 hardware.

I'm more interested in UBS-on-the-go which seems to be more realistic/relevant than WiMAX!

Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
I doubt that the 770 will be moved to the OS 2007 platform. I'm sure Ari intentions were good when he mention support for the 770 back in early January
Without wishing to drag this situation up again, Jaaksi made it fairly clear throughout January that 770 support would continue - not OS 2007, but OS 2006. The backport of OS 2007 for 770 only came about as a concession due to the outcry from 770 owners. The intention has always been to continue OS 2006 support for 770, and that hasn't changed so his intentions were and still are good (although not as good as us 770 owners would like). Sure, we'd all like an official release of OS 2007 on 770 with updated Flash and Opera but it ain't going to happen, and I'm not even sure the OS 2007 on 770 for Hackers Edition will really cut it as a usable version for non-developers, we'll just have to wait and see.

Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
As someone who works in the tech industry myself its pretty rare for companies to support legacy products when new ones have been introduced, like to be wrong, but Nokia hasn't impressed me much as a consumer orientated company.
I'd actually disagree with you - my (software based) experience is that the current and previous versions of any product continue to receive support with the most recent version getting all the goodies and new features while the previous version receives only bug fixes. Versions prior to the "bug fix only" version receive fixes for major security flaws only.

This is pretty much the policy being taken by Nokia. However if your experience is that few companies support "legacy" devices then why are you not impressed with the promised ongoing Nokia support for the 770?

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-02-13 at 02:52.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by ColonelMustard View Post
Is it safe to assume this WiMAX blurb does not refer to the n800's future?
Hey, who knows? After all, Texrat claimed the FM radio was not the famous N800's easter egg. Maybe the knowledgeable should have a good look at those chips again.