Posts: 255 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ United Kingdom
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7082414.stm

Symbian boss says Google phone plans are nothing to worry about. This is like standing in the middle of a raging storm and saying that nobody should worry about the breeze.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
From the BBC article...

Meanwhile, the head of Nokia in the UK said the firm was in discussions with Google about using the platform.

Simon Ainslie, Nokia UK's managing director, said: "We are always open to discussion and debate on that. We were not ready to make any commitment to it or discuss it at the time."

"We are having ongoing discussions with Google."
Sounds to me like Nokia are hedging their bets - nothing is ruled out and Nokia could join the Google OS club in future. Probably the best attitude to have right now.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-11-07 at 16:16.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
An alliance with 34 members, companies with conflicting commercial interests - sounds like an easy and agile forum to make complicated decisions.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Early analysts' predictions are that Google OS will take 2% of the smartphone market by end of 2008. That's probably why Symbian (and others) aren't afraid. The smartphone market is already small, and 2% of that is insignificant.

I'm sure these guys will be watching for traction. Anyway, 10 years from now, we'll laugh at the ancient days of conventional telephony transport and wonder why VOIP wasn't invented by Alexander Graham Bell.

Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
An alliance with 34 members, companies with conflicting commercial interests - sounds like an easy and agile forum to make complicated decisions.
Bingo. I predict major defections by some point in or before 2009. Some call this the "United Nations of phone tech"... and we know what an insult THAT is.

(ps: ragnar, read my latest nblog)

Posts: 255 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ United Kingdom
There are some excellent comments over on Slashdot, which featured the story:

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article...7/11/07/142247

There's lots of relevance to those who argue that the NIT should include a SIM card slot too. From what some commenters say, there's so much politics and sheer greed involved in mobile phone provision that it sounds like leaving the SIM card out of the NIT was one of the best things Nokia ever did. It's almost like the NIT are innocent children that Nokia is trying to keep sheltered from the big bad world

Some sobering descriptions about Symbian there for sure
(pats the nearest non-NDA-encumbered API)