Active Topics

Nine times our of ten, when I open the email client by selecting "View Inbox" it wil say "loading Email" for about 20 seconds, then fail.

Am I doing something wrong?

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Nine times our of ten, when I open the email client by selecting "View Inbox" it wil say "loading Email" for about 20 seconds, then fail.

Am I doing something wrong?
Yes: You're using the email client.

Seriously: The built in email client is massively excrementy. If you want to use email on the 770/N800, either go for a web-based account (Google mail) or use Sylpheed, ported by Affleg (http://www.bleb.org/software/770/).

Pine works as well (in the application catalog), but that one is a console-based application, without the funky windows and the mousey and the pretty colours.

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post

Seriously: The built in email client is massively excrementy. If you want to use email on the 770/N800, either go for a web-based account (Google mail) or use Sylpheed, ported by Affleg (http://www.bleb.org/software/770/).

Pine works as well (in the application catalog), but that one is a console-based application, without the funky windows and the mousey and the pretty colours.
my 770 doesn't have a mousey!!! I want a refund!

Thanks for the tip, but I think my problem is more systemic than that. I downloaded Sylpheed and installed it, got a message saying it installed successfully but when I run it it says loading then fails just like the email client did. I also have MaemoPad in my Extras folder, and that does the same thing.

Being a total Linux NOOB I haven't the faintest idea about how to read a log file, or where it is for that matter. All I know is they fail to load!

HELP!!!

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Thanks for the tip, but I think my problem is more systemic than that. I downloaded Sylpheed and installed it, got a message saying it installed successfully but when I run it it says loading then fails just like the email client did. I also have MaemoPad in my Extras folder, and that does the same thing.

Being a total Linux NOOB I haven't the faintest idea about how to read a log file, or where it is for that matter. All I know is they fail to load!

HELP!!!
Sorry. I'm a gmail man; I only mentioned Sylpheed because I like Aflegg , I don't use it myself.

I tried Maemopad (you're talking about the editor, not about the Magnificent MaemoPad+, right?) for about ten seconds, then threw it out and installed Leafpad, which actually works.

I wonder if you may have a library missing somewhere. There are several threads about Sylpheed on this forum, maybe your answer is lurking in one of them?

Sorry. I'm a gmail man; I only mentioned Sylpheed because I like Aflegg , I don't use it myself.
Yes I use gmail too, and it works. My RoadRunner webmail uses Javascript so of course Opera can’t handle that.

I tried Maemopad (you're talking about the editor, not about the Magnificent MaemoPad+, right?) for about ten seconds, then threw it out and installed Leafpad, which actually works.
I don’t know, I just installed the one in the repository, more as practice installing software than anything else. I’ve never gotten it to work so I don’t even know if I like it.

I wonder if you may have a library missing somewhere. There are several threads about Sylpheed on this forum, maybe your answer is lurking in one of them?
I would think that if I have a library problem, the email client would never work. As it is, it will start maybe one in ten or twenty times. As I said I have never gotten Maemopad or Sylpheed to work, so they could be a different problem. I don’t know how to access a log file to tell.

I decided to use GMail but was dissapointed to see that the spell checker doesn't work in Opera - Really need the spell chekker. Any hope it will work with an Opera revision?

Had the same email client problem.
Went to Tools Connection_Manager
then
Connection_Manager menu at top of screen
Tools
Connectivity_Settings

Set to Manual.

The system reboots have stopped and the mail client is behaving better.
I suspect the mail client thread for checking mailboxes was hanging during scan for access points and preventing the mail client from opening.

Originally Posted by DryLand404 View Post
Had the same email client problem.
Went to Tools Connection_Manager
then
Connection_Manager menu at top of screen
Tools
Connectivity_Settings

Set to Manual.

The system reboots have stopped and the mail client is behaving better.
I suspect the mail client thread for checking mailboxes was hanging during scan for access points and preventing the mail client from opening.
Can I assume you mean set "Connect Automatically" to none?

If that be the case, I have done that but have not thouroughly tested it yet. So far so go though. the email client seems to start every time.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
There are problems with Sylpheed on N800's caused by libxau0, because of library changes between Maemo 2.1 (which it was compiled for) and Maemo 3.0 (basis of the N800).

I've not had a chance to resolve these yet, or even work out a decent workflow for compiling the same source in n different environments (Maemo 2.2 PC, Maemo 2.2 ARMEL, Maemo 3.0 PC, Maemo 3.0 ARMEL - each taking up a couple of gigs of space and a rather tedious manual workflow).