Active Topics

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
For a few months now it seems that there's a 70:30 chance that my 770 boots with what seems to be a reduced color depth: I notice it immediately when the two hands appear, the image looks almost like 256 colors only - speckled. The effect is hardly noticeable elsewhere except for a) the virtual keyboard with its shades of grey and, of course, b) photos and videos.

As I said, sometimes I boot and everythings fine, but that's very unlikely meanwhile.

So, does anybody else have this?
Is there a command line tool for maemo that will allow me to actually see the color depth the x server runs on? Like xdpy?
Could this be a hardware defect or is it more likely to be software related? What do you think?

Last edited by benny1967; 2007-02-09 at 09:16.

OK, I found a very simple solution for checking it: A screenshot showed that all the colors are fine when I view the file on a different PC/Monitor.

I assume I would see the artifacts in the screenshot.png if it really were a problem of "reduced color depth" in the X system.

A closer look at my 770 reveals that most of the disturbing artifacts occur to the right of a vertical bright/dark-change. What resembles reduced colors could also be a left-to-right smearing effect on the screen. Looking for other traces of such an effekt, I found that the blue boxes on planet.maemo org start with a stripe of about 2mm of very light to almost greenish blue on the left.

Pls, could somebody tell me that this is not a bad display I need to send in for repair but some sort of error with initializing a driver? Something that will certainly be fixed with the next OS update?

Last edited by benny1967; 2007-02-09 at 09:31.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
sounds a bit like it could be a loose connection as well. I had similiar probelms with my dell laptop at some point.

But then again, that's just a guess.

Loose connection sounds a lot like "take it for repair"...