I don't know much about Linux, etc but I know there is something on the N900 called Tracker that indexes your media files.

Well it does not work on my device. When I add my files it takes up to a week to update. For like a week at least there are still times when I go to the media player and it says no music or videos even though there are 4000 songs and 100 videos.

I removed all my music yesterday and resynched with Window Media Player because drag and drop was not transferring the correct ID tags for all the files so needed to try something else. However, the media player is now showing like 5500 songs because tracker is recognising I think 1500 of the re-added songs but not recognising that I removed 4000 (so most of the songs when I try to play say unable to find file). It is also still showing the 20 or so playlists I deleted but not the 3 I re-added.

Don't really want to wait another week minimum for the device to sort itself out. So two questions.

1. How do I reset this tracker thing or speed it up?

2. I have hard drive had media devices for like 10 years now and before this device I have never had this sort of problem. With all my previous devices (4 Creative MP3 players, Ipod Touch) I have never had such an issue. I just transfer my music and disconnect from the PC and access my music immediately. Certainly never had to wait anytime. So if a 10 year old Creative could recognise your music as soon as transferred why is a 2009 device having this problem?

My file manager is also very sluggish when I go into a folder with alot of stuff like my Music folder. Presumably this is related to the tracker issue.

Last edited by etuoyo; 2010-01-26 at 18:56.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland

Posts: 1,090 | Thanked: 476 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ingolstadt, Germany
1. http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=42088

2. mhm... 99% of the n900 doesn't seem to have this issue... bad luck i guess.

Thanks. That that seems to have done the trick. Seems to have recognised my files one week quicker than usual.

I still have the problem. Recognized as few cover.jpg title pics, but not others. ****ed up, frankly.

Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Thanks. That that seems to have done the trick. Seems to have recognised my files one week quicker than usual.
Having said that the default media player shows no artist when I go to artist view although it shows up all the songs. And Media Box freezes up when I go to my music so not an option for me. Maybe one day the device will function properly for media but for now it is quite problematic. Some album art also doesn't show even though all embedded.